Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac WiFi nightmare

The problem first began straight after the Yosemite update, whenever i tried to join my home wifi network, i was getting an 'unassigned IP address' and couldn't use anything that required the internet. Somehow i fixed that after spending countless hours searching for solutions, but i can't remember exactly what fixed it. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago- My WiFi appears connected (both in AirPort and the signal strength on the bar next to the time & date), however often it doesn't actually work on any browser i try, nor mail or any other app. Another issue, which i don't know if is related to this, is when i am online playing a game on a separate client, i cannot open a browser, i disconnect from my online game and the browser does not load.

Fixes i have tried-

• Removing all other wifi locations
  • Changing MTU from 1500 to 1453
  • Manually putting in my IP
  • Changing DNS to 8.8.4.4 or 4.4.2.2
  • Renewing DHCP lease
  • Removing WiFi details from Keychain and inputting them again
  • Restarting router (I even bought a new one... still no success)
  • Deleting System Preferences file in Macintosh HD and restarting computer
  • PMC restart (i think this is what it was called)

Details in my network tab-

TCP/IP

• Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
  • IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.***
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Router: 192.168.1.254

• Configure IPv6: Automatically
  • Router: Empty
  • IPv6 Address: Empty
  • Prefix length: Empty

DNS

I think it's also worth noting that WiFi speed on my iPhone 5 has been considerably slower lately too, however all other non-apple gadgets work fine on our home WiFi.

Any help is appreciated, and i'm not too tech savvy so if you could fully explain the solution in your suggestion that'd be great 😁

Thanks

iMac, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 22, 2015 2:30 PM

4 replies

May 22, 2015 4:42 PM in response to TJHamilton

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them; in that case, there's no need to repeat the answers.

• Restart the router and the broadband device, if they're separate. Any change?
  • Are you connected to Ethernet as well as Wi-Fi? If so, disconnect the Ethernet cable or adapter and test.
  • If possible, connect to the router with an Ethernet cable and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?
  • Are any other devices on the network, and if so, are they the same?
  • If you can connect to more than one network, are they all the same?
  • Are all network applications affected, or only some? If only some, which ones?
  • Is networking always the same, or is the problem intermittent?
  • Disconnect all other devices from the network. Any change?
  • Start up in safe mode and test. Any difference?
  • Start up in Recovery mode. From the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. Any difference?
  • If possible, turn off Bluetooth and disconnect any USB 3 devices. Any difference?

May 22, 2015 4:45 PM in response to TJHamilton

Which version of Yosemite are you using? Do the same problems crop up if you use the ethernet?

If you have not already done so, please try the following suggestions:

Install the OS 10.10.3 Combo Update. Repair permissions & restart your comp after the installation.

System Preferences>Network>Advanced>DNS. Click the plus sign ➕ & enter these numbers:

Restart your computer

===============

Try the basics first: (You may have already tried these suggestions)

Change your router channel number. Most times this works & is all you have to do.

Disconnect & reconnect your modem. unplug it for about 10 seconds. Plug it back in. Do the same for Apple’s routers. Wait for everything to reboot.

System Preferences>Network

Click the Assist Me button.

In the next window that pops up, click the Diagnostic button & follow the onscreen instructions.

Macintosh HD>System>Library>Coreservices>Applications

Double click on the Wireless Diagnostic.app & follow the onscreen instructions.

Research Knowledge Base for network problems that pertain to the OS that is currently installed on your computer.

Read the following KB Articles:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1401AirPort troubleshooting guide

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712Using network locations in Mac OS X

Manually provided DNS server addresses are higher priority than DHCP's

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1714Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

============================

What to do when you can't connect to the Internet

Also, run the Airport Utility app which is located inside the Utilities folder.

=====================

If using a Linksys router, contact LinkSys Customer Support and/or post in their forums.

If using Apple's Airport, please re-post over in one of the AirPort Forums.

===============

If you are still under warranty and/or have AppleCare, call them. Let them deal w/it.

Since you have a desktop (iMac), a repair tech will come to your home.

OOW: Take your Mac to your local Apple Store or an AASP. Diagnostic testing is FREE!

Other OOW options:

How to save money on Mac repairs with your credit card’s extended warranty

Thank you for reporting the troubleshooting efforts you have previously tried. Very helpful to users trying to help.

User uploaded file

iMac WiFi nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.