Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shuts down during startup

I have a Mid-2012 MacPro with installed yosemite a few weeks ago. I encountered the problem yesterday and tried to fix it and search through the internet for a solution with no success. I tried resetting SMC/PRAM nothing happened. Tried booting into safe mode but its as if its ignoring the fact that I'm holding the shift key. Tried booting into safe mode via terminal in DU but it says "unknown command" or something. Even tried Fsck, recovery partion(it doesn't show up, only Macintosh HD is presented). Tried reinstalling Mac OS to see if that would work "An error occurred while preparing..." even though I changed the time using terminal. The Macintosh HD is grayed out when I click on it, then I click on unlock allowing me to either verify disc, or permission, not repair them. The strange thing is that two Macintosh HD is in DU, and later another drive is there which says APPLE 500GB...can't remember. I also waited an hour to let it cooldown and when it starts up, the progress bar goes about halfway before it shuts down. I also have some valuable files on my drive and I don't want to loose it. I don't know how I can back up my stuff now. If I could do that I wouldn't mind getting a new drive or erase everything and do a clean reinstall. Anything would be helpfull, please help me! Thanks 🙂

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on May 22, 2015 4:49 PM

11 replies

May 22, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Shazo46

You can try this:

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

May 23, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Kappy

It gives me the same error "An error occured while preparing the installation". I did boot to the recovery HD, but only Macintosh HD was showing. Then I restarted and went to DU, reinstall Mac OS. Something different occured this time. Before installation it asks me to unlock in order to proceed and when it says choose a drive nothing shows up so it puts me back, and after that the drive shows where I want to install...

Edit: Again, It only lets me verify disc, not repair it

May 23, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Shazo46

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

May 23, 2015 2:02 PM in response to Shazo46

Sorry. My fault:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select your startup volume (this is the in-dented entry) from the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab in the Disk Utility main window.
  3. Click on the Repair Disk button. Wait for the process to complete. If you get no errors, then click on the Repair Permissions button.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

May 24, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Kappy

Okay, everything went perfectly fine until this happened; Same, it said to unlock the drive to verify disc(It was the only option that wasn't grayed out though). Then finally it let me repair the disc, and during the repair another error occured. After that the drive Macintosh was renamed to Encrypted partion: User uploaded file

May 24, 2015 4:51 PM in response to Shazo46

If the drive is encrypted, then you need to decrypt it before you can move forward. This would usually be done in Security & Privacy preferences under the FileVault tab. You need to turn off FileVault. Decrypting the drive will take quite some time, so you will need to wait until it has completed. I don't know how much time that will take for your drive.

MacBook Pro shuts down during startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.