Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5k USB Kensington Mouse

Just bought and received a refurbished iMac 5k. Everything's working great, just as great as I'd hoped, except for my Kensington USB mouse.

When I plug in the mouse, it won't move.

I've searched the web for the last hour and can't find a solution. The computer recognizes the mouse because clicking works. I open SteerMouse and it indicates that it sees the mouse moving.

Yet the mouse won't move.

I've reset pram, SMC, even run Apple Diagnostics, and disk utility, but I can't get the mouse to move.

Yes the iMac came with a Magic Mouse, and it works great. But the USB mouse is my gaming mouse, with more buttons to customize.

Any solutions?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 22, 2015 5:14 PM

4 replies

May 22, 2015 5:59 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

The solution to this issue is to work with System Preferences/Mouse.

First, turn off the Magic Mouse by switching it off. Or, alternatively, you can take the MM to the opposite side of your house, so the Bluetooth connection is disabled. If the Magic Mouse is active, the Kensington Mouse may not be detected.

Next, put the USB cable of the Kensington Mouse into your computer.

Go to System Preferences/Mouse to confirm the Kensington mouse is working.

Post back here with your results!

May 23, 2015 7:12 AM in response to poikkeus1

Thank you both for your replies.

1. Baby Boomer: The manufacturer of this mouse is Kensington, and it's been quite some time since they've done any real support for Apple. I've looked into their site for help, but I can't find anything other than their software for their Trackball in recent years.

2. Poikkeus: I followed your instructions to the same result. I turn the Magic Mouse off, wait for the system to no longer recognize it, and then plugged in the USB wireless mouse. I can still get the buttons to work (I placed the mouse over the mouse system preferences icon so I could enter the panel) yet the mouse still doesn't work.

Just to be certain I changed the batteries so they're brand new, then I returned the mouse to my laptop. There is worked just fine, no extra drivers or problems, so clearly the problem is either Yosemite or my new iMac.

Any other suggestions?

May 23, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Bruce Kelly

It looks like you've covered the basics pretty well - but the issue is that Kensington should give you better support

1. Visit the nascent Kensington support site and download the drivers. All Kensington mice require drivers, so this should be your first option.

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/3693/software-drivers#.VWCgsmBxCRo

This site has a comprehensive list of drivers and instructions.

2. This probably isn't an issue for you, but Kensington products don't use hubs. Plug directly into the USB connection on your iMac.

iMac 5k USB Kensington Mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.