Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't open on my 5K iMac with Yosemite

When I try to start iTunes on my iMac there is no response. I've tried deleting and re-installing iTunes with no luck. I've also tried viewing Console while starting iTunes and nothing appears... Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 4 GHz I7, 32 GB, 1TB SSD, Radeon R9

Posted on May 22, 2015 4:24 PM

3 replies

May 22, 2015 4:32 PM in response to 144pilot

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

May 22, 2015 7:30 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy,

I ran through all of the steps:

Repaired the Drive - disk utility responded with: verified and repaired volume on Macintosh HD - Appears to be OK

Repaired Disk Permissions - Warning SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteMan...MacOS/ARDagent" has been modified and will not be repaired

Several other non related permissions were repaired and process completed properly.

Reinstalled OSX Yosemite

Everything completed normally.

Signed in, tried to start iTunes and NO RESPONSE. Identical problem as before...

Restarted the Console from Utilities, cleared the display and tried to start iTunes again: no information displayed.

One other possible clue: When running console prior to the re-install was able to get the following information to display when starting iTunes:

5/22/15 5:19:02.568 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.spindump[436]) Service exited with abnormal code: 75

5/22/15 5:19:02.568 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.spindump) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

5/22/15 5:19:04.461 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imdmessageservices.IMDMessageServicesAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

5/22/15 5:19:04.461 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance...

iTunes won't open on my 5K iMac with Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.