Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unlock my iPad to get horizontal screen

II cannot find the unlock icon to make my screen horizontal.. It's always been horizontal until yesterday, so I don't know what I hit or how to find it. Please help. My neck is killing me.

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3, I know there has to be a unlock

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:42 PM

If you don't see the lock-rotation icon in the Contriol Center you need to use the side switch next to the volume switch.

User uploaded file

26 replies

May 22, 2015 8:06 PM in response to babowa

Do you have an iPad Air 2 ? This used to be a more common problem when there was a sideswitch. If the sideswitch was set to mute the Control Center would have the anti-rotation icon. If the side switch was set to anti-rotation the Control Center would show mute. The side switch is so small many users turn it on by accident. If you have an iPad Air 2 you should have both the anti-rotation and mute icons in the Control Center.

May 22, 2015 8:09 PM in response to bobseufert

If you have an iPad Air 2 you should have both the anti-rotation and mute icons in the Control Center.

I have an iPad Air original, not the current iteration.

I have no idea if I have those icons in the Control Center because I turned it off (and I'm not near the iPad right now) I don't need it or want it. I can set either one or the other (mute or rotation lock) in the Settings and I have it set for mute.

May 22, 2015 8:32 PM in response to bobseufert

Not entirely sure about that: go to Settings > general >

Use Side Switch for: ( choice of ) Lock Rotation OR Mute.

You can only choose one by tapping on it (resulting in a checkmark next to it) - if you choose the other, then the first checkmark disappears.

Edit: the above makes sense as it seems to be a toggle switch - toggling back and forth - or, choice of one or the other......

And:

When the side switch is set to mute the Control Center become lick-rotation and vice-versa.

My side switch is set to mute AND the control center is turned OFF / not activated. All I do is turn the iPad horzontally or vertically and the screen follows automatically. No Control Center or Side switch needed.

May 22, 2015 8:55 PM in response to babowa

I Guess I don't understand the termonology when you refer to a "slide switch." When I go to settings > general > there's a section that says:

LOCK ROTATION

MUTE

My checkmark was next to "MUTE." I don't recall doing that, but obviously, I'm the guilty party. When I switched the checkmark to "MUTE" everything operated just like before. Everyone's input was greatly appreciated.. Thanks, Hank

How do I unlock my iPad to get horizontal screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.