Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if my hard drive is fried. Stoping working a few days ago.

Mac book comes on for second but screen doesn't light up. Computer make little Fan noise but the caps locks button goes green if u press It. It seems dead.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 22, 2015 4:28 PM

14 replies

May 22, 2015 5:18 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

This came up on the screen "error disk needs to repaired . click repair disk " which i did and then this popped up "Error : Disk Ulitilty can't repair disk .... e disk and restore your back files. This sounds like the hard drive is done . I have tried to reinstall Yosemites from a 8gig scan drive and it would not let me install it. Is that due to my Hard drive failing ? One last question is it this worth fixing or buy a new one ???

May 23, 2015 3:03 AM in response to JoeWhoDatt

JoeWhoDatt wrote:

This sounds like the hard drive is done .

Yes.

JoeWhoDatt wrote:

is it this worth fixing or buy a new one ???

For less than $100 you can install a new HDD and have the MBP fully operational. I certainly would install one and It is easy to do so. Here is a sample of what is available:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/

And here how it is done:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_mid12_hd_h/

Ciao.

May 23, 2015 10:25 AM in response to JoeWhoDatt

JoeWhoDatt wrote:

I Went to Best buy and look at SSD Drives and they told me I couldn't replace the damage hard drive myself.

That is total nonsense. I have installed HDDs and SSDs in my MBP's with no difficulty. Did you look at the video?

Is you MBP a retina or non retina model? Which ever it is, it will not make a difference in your ability to do the replacement your self.

JoeWhoDatt wrote:

They told a proffessional had to recover some stuff of the damage hard drive to use in the new SSD.

Getting data off of the drive may be problematic. Again I need to know if you have a retina or non retina MBP.

Ciao.

May 23, 2015 10:53 AM in response to JoeWhoDatt

JoeWhoDatt wrote:

. When I plug in the new SSD into does it work automatical Or do I need to something to it.

When you get the new SSD, install it in your MBP.

Boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

It should result in a display showing a revolving globe.

By following the instructions, you will be connected to the Apple servers.

There will be a 4 option menu, select Disk Utility.

Run Disk Utility>Erase. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format.

Exit Disk Utility and from the same 4 option menu select reinstall OSX.

Follow the instructions and when completed, you should have a functioning MBP.

A solid Internet connection will be required.

JoeWhoDatt wrote:

Do I need anything off the damaged hard drive so the new SSD will work.

If you have backups, transfer the data to the MBP. If not, take the HDD, install it into an enclosure and connect it to the MBP via USB. Try to access the HDD and you may or may not be able to get data off of it.

If you cannot get any data off of it, do an Internet search for data recovery software. Most will have a free test app to see if they will be successful. If the results are positive, then you will have to pay for the recovery software.

Ciao.

May 23, 2015 11:33 AM in response to JoeWhoDatt

JoeWhoDatt wrote:

I downloaded Yosemite to a 8 gig thumb drive. Do I need this thumb drive when installing the SSD.

The first operation that MUST be done is formatting the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then and only then can you install an OSX. You can go through the process that I outlined which will result in Lion being installed or you can exit the Internet recovery process at the OSX install point and install Yosemite instead using the Yosemite USB installer.

Also I don't need anything off the old HHD to make the new SSD worK ?

The only thing you may want is your data. There is nothing on there that is required to make your MBP work.

Do I need to partion the new SSD ??

I have never done that.

Ciao.

How can I tell if my hard drive is fried. Stoping working a few days ago.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.