Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove Cinema Pro 1.2

How do I remove this virus or adware? Saw something on MacBook Pro but it said those instructions for removal were good for a short time only. I trashed my Google and Firefox browsers. Would trashing the browsers even take care of the problem? Safari is not affected like those & the ads do not come up but seems a little slow. Never have had anything like this on my iMac. Appreciate your help.

Carol

2010 iMac running Snow Leopard

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Snow Leopard

Posted on May 22, 2015 5:11 PM

6 replies

May 22, 2015 6:28 PM in response to carol829

carol829 wrote:

Saw something on MacBook Pro but it said those instructions for removal were good for a short time only.

I'm guessing you saw some manual removal instructions posted by Linc Davis, who often prefaces those instructions by pointing out that they may not be good in the future. This is because it's not possible to go back later and edit such instructions posted on these forums when the adware changes.

Since you're using Mac OS X 10.6.8, you won't be able to use AdwareMedic. However, you can use my equivalent Adware Removal Guide, which is always kept up-to-date. It will help you get rid of this adware.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

May 22, 2015 6:54 PM in response to carol829

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem. You installed the "CinemaPro" trojan. Take the steps below to disable it.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may be files with a name beginning in any of the following ways:

cinema-plus

cinemas-+-plus

com.cinemapro

com.extensions

Safari Security

shopy-mate

UpdateDownloader

Move all such items to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library

A folder named "Library" will open. Inside it there may be a subfolder with a name beginning

cinemapro

If so, move that subfolder—not the Library folder—to the Trash.

4. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library/ScriptingAdditions

and remove an item named

BrowserHelper.osax

if present.

5. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Applications

This is not the usual Applications folder, but a different one inside your home folder. Look for an application with a name beginning like this:

cinemapro

and move it to the Trash, if present.

Empty the Trash.

6. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need, including any with a name similar to "CinemaPro." If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

Aug 27, 2015 7:33 PM in response to pvbloalva

Some of the most common types of adware can be removed by following Apple's instructions. If those instructions don't work for you, or if you have trouble following them, see below.

This easy procedure will detect any kind of adware that I know of. Deactivating it is a separate, and even easier, procedure that doesn't involve downloading anything.

Some legitimate software is ad-supported and may display ads in its own windows or in a web browser while it's running. That's not malware and it may not show up. Also, some websites carry intrusive popup ads that may be mistaken for adware.

If none of your web browsers is working well enough to carry out these instructions, restart the computer in safe mode. That will disable the malware temporarily.

Step 1

Please triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. Press return. Either a folder named "LaunchAgents" will open, or you'll get a notice that the folder can't be found. If the folder isn't found, go to the next step.

If the folder does open, press the key combination command-2 to select list view, if it's not already selected. Please don't skip this step.

There should be a column in the Finder window headed Date Modified. Click that heading twice to sort the contents by date with the newest at the top. If necessary, enlarge the window so that all of the contents are showing.

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Take a screenshot of a window." An image file with a name beginning in "Screen Shot" should be saved to the Desktop. Open the screenshot and make sure it's readable. If not, capture a smaller part of the screen showing only what needs to be shown.

Start a reply to this message. Drag the image file into the editing window to upload it. You can also include text in the reply.

Leave the folder open for now.

Step 2

Do as in Step 1 with this line:

/Library/LaunchAgents

The folder that may open will have the same name, but is not the same, as the one in Step 1. As in that step, the folder may not exist.

Step 3

Repeat with this line:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

This time the folder will be named "LaunchDaemons."

Step 4

Open the Safari preferences window and select the Extensions tab. If any extensions are listed, post a screenshot. If there are no extensions, or if you can't launch Safari, skip this step.

Step 5

If you use the Firefox or Chrome browser, open its extension list and do as in Step 4.

How to remove Cinema Pro 1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.