Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Internal Raid 10 To Another Mac Pro

I would like to upgrade my mac pro 1.1 2x dual core 3.0gHz to a mac pro 3.1 2x quad core 2.8gHz so i can run yosemite to sync my data from my other IOS8 devices and other yosemite macs.

I only use the mac pro 1.1 for file storage. It has 4x 4tb hard drives in raid 10 and 2x 250gb in raid 0. Is there any way of moving the raid 10 array from the mac pro 1.1 to the mac pro 3.1 without corrupting the array. I'm not worried about the raid 0, its only a scratch disk.

Thanks

Trevor

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 8:03 PM

Disk Utility RAID records "RAID-ness" on the drives themselves. Move those drives to another Mac with the same or later MacOS X, and they will be seen as the same RAID. Which drive is in which slot does not matter.

NB> sleds for 2006 through 2008 interchange with each other. Sleds for 2009 through 2012 interchange with each other -- BUT the two types are not interchangeable.

Remember RAID is not Backup -- you still need a Backup (for things other than drive failure) such as human error, crazy software, and 'just because'.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2015 8:03 PM in response to Madriver911

Disk Utility RAID records "RAID-ness" on the drives themselves. Move those drives to another Mac with the same or later MacOS X, and they will be seen as the same RAID. Which drive is in which slot does not matter.

NB> sleds for 2006 through 2008 interchange with each other. Sleds for 2009 through 2012 interchange with each other -- BUT the two types are not interchangeable.

Remember RAID is not Backup -- you still need a Backup (for things other than drive failure) such as human error, crazy software, and 'just because'.

Moving Internal Raid 10 To Another Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.