Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I resize 2 partitions on same HDD?

I'm facing an odd issue, or may be missing something...

I have an external HDD for backup with Carbon Copy Cloner. One is dedicated to osx and programs and configuration, the other one for data. Both are formatted osx journaled.

I'd like to decrease the first and indeed, claim that space to increase the second.

But as the resize handle is at bottom, it looks I can only resize the first on top, and when I position the mouse on the second (bottom), I can read that this partition will not be resized (and the handle can only decrease it, no way I can pull it up to increase ...)

Why is that ?

Rob

Note: this is on OSX 10.8.5

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), i7, 8GB memory

Posted on May 22, 2015 9:08 PM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1,

Thanks for your reply.

I just can't believe I would need a 3rd party app at $50 for this !... I haven't needed such ''Partition Magic'' or any similar program under Windows for about a a decade now (probably not since Windows XP...). So why would I need it with OSX ? Disk Utility is not capable of doing this ? (it will but as I wrote, just on one ? is this really true ?)

Thanks again,

Rob

May 23, 2015 12:19 PM in response to lanstrad1

Sorry, no. Disk Utility just isn't designed to work that way. To do it for free, you need to copy a bunch of data around manually.

1) Create a disk image of the second partition to another drive (or copy the data to a large enough partition as is with no compression).

2) Use DU to shrink partition one to its new size.

3) Delete partition two.

4) Click the + button to create a new second partition, which will fill the space.

5) Copy the backed up data to the new second partition.

Can I resize 2 partitions on same HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.