Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 connects to Airport Extreme, but it doesn't connect to the wifi network

I just switched cable and internet services. I bought a new modem (Motorola) and a new Airport Extreme. I connected Airport Extreme to the modem. It took a minute to set up the wifi network and hook up to it from the computer. Instant internet on the computer. However, iPhone 5 is able to login to network, but it doesn't connect to it, though. I did my research, updated the iOS, created a new DNS (8.8.8.8), reset the wifi network services, rebooted the phone several times, rebooted airport extreme. For the life of me, The iPhone cannot connect to the wifi network. What else can I do?

Posted on May 22, 2015 6:53 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2015 7:14 PM in response to marmarita

What model number of modem? Motorola in general requires a much longer than normal power down period to allow the device to reset correctly......especially if you first connected your computer directly to the modem to get service going with the new ISP.

We often see issues about this with the SB6141, SB6121, and SB6183 modems.

What operating system are you running on your computer....or.....did you use the iPhone to set up the AirPort Extreme?

May 22, 2015 7:38 PM in response to marmarita

Thanks. It appears that part of your post was lost, but I think we have what we need to get started.

Power off the modem by pulling the power cord from the back of the modem, or from the wall AC jack, and disconnect the co-ax and Ethernet cables.

Leave the modem powered off for at least 30 minutes. Longer will not hurt.

While the modem is powered down, with the AirPort Extreme powered on, hold in the reset button on the back (next to the AC power jack) of the device for 7-8 seconds and then release. Allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Power off the AirPort Extreme by pulling the power cord from the back of the device or from the wall AC jack.

After the modem has been powered off for at least 30 minutes, connect the co-ax cable to the modem and connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

Power up the modem, and let it run for 15 minutes all alone.

After the 15 minutes, power up the AirPort Extreme and let it run for 5 minutes

Now, go through the setup of the AirPort Extreme, setup a different, simple name for the wireless network.....no apostrophes or special characters. Use 10 characters or less and use only normal letters and or numbers. Then check to see if multiple devices can connect, and post back on your results.

iPhone 5 connects to Airport Extreme, but it doesn't connect to the wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.