Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can photos import and edit RAW files

Can photos import and edit RAW files?

Posted on May 22, 2015 9:04 PM

9 replies

May 23, 2015 9:36 AM in response to digitaldi

digitaldi wrote:

Thanks for the link. I learned that my Nikon D80 is supported. However when I shot in Raw+fine yesterday only jpegs seem to have been imported from the camera. Do the RAW images show up next to the jpgs? I may have an issue with the camera 😟

If you shoot in Raw then they are imported as such. If you are not sure then click a sample photo and select Get Info (or Command + I) and it will tell you the file format as well as other pertinent information. For example:

User uploaded file

May 23, 2015 9:51 AM in response to digitaldi

RAW plus fine is RAW plus JPEG and makes two copies using twice the memory card space and disk space - Unless you have a strong reason to make a RAW and JPEG copy on the camera then just shoot RAW - Photos generates a JPEG preview and you can export a JPEG or TIFF or the original RAW at any time

When you shoot RAW plus JPEG Photos stacks the images with the JPEG showing (the "j") - to edit starting with the RAW click edit and in the edit window under image select use RAW for editing

LN

May 23, 2015 3:47 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry thanks so much. Now I see the "stacked" images with the j in the bottom left corner. However when i click on edit I don't see any option for choosing the RAW file - just the usual list of adjustments.

This maybe irrelevant though. The important question is whether photos actually edits the raw file (eg enabling one to pull out details in highlights) or does it just edit the embedded jpg (which I understand is how iphoto worked).

Dianne

"Anything good to know is difficult to learn"

May 23, 2015 5:40 PM in response to digitaldi

to edit starting with the RAW click edit and in the edit window under image [menu] select use RAW for editing

Sorry I left the word menu out - in the edit menu under the image menu select "Use RAW for editing"

And iPhoto did not edit the JPG preview - it (like Photos and Aperture) records the edits in the database and uses the to create a JPEG preview and when you use the image outside of Photos to give you the edited image

You can not actually edit a RAW image as it is simply a dump of the imaging sensor bits - you start with it and add edits the when yu report the image it is not RAW - it is a JPEG or TIFF as you choose

LN

Can photos import and edit RAW files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.