Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an external disk drive compatible with late 2009 iMac 27 inch that I can use to reload OS?

MY current internal drive keeps spitting out disks and I can't get computer to boot

iMac

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 8:51 PM

You could connect an external DVD±RW drive like this one, via FireWire or USB. You could always go to a PC store and buy an external FireWire/USB case and a 5.25" DVD±RW drive to install in it. There could be compatibility problems related to booting the Mac from it, based on the controller chip found on the bridge board in the enclosure. Your most reliable option would be buying the one I linked from Other World Computing.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2015 8:51 PM in response to robinson468

You could connect an external DVD±RW drive like this one, via FireWire or USB. You could always go to a PC store and buy an external FireWire/USB case and a 5.25" DVD±RW drive to install in it. There could be compatibility problems related to booting the Mac from it, based on the controller chip found on the bridge board in the enclosure. Your most reliable option would be buying the one I linked from Other World Computing.

Is there an external disk drive compatible with late 2009 iMac 27 inch that I can use to reload OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.