Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selective Syncing?

I have an iPhone 5s, an iPad mini, and an rMB Pro soon to arrive. When I get it, how can I set up,iCloud to share ONLY calendar,,notifications, and mail, but no documents etc. I want the documents in Pages to reside only on my "hard"disk. Thanks.

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:49 PM

4 replies

May 22, 2015 8:36 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks, Rysz. The reason I ask is that I seem to have managed to garf things up with the few documents I have created on first, my iPhone and then the iPad. I thought they would sync, but some are different and I managed to lose one whole folder. If I turn off I drive on one gadget--the docs disappear. Then they come back when I turn it on. Can you extend this lesson to tell me how NOT to save a doc on the iCloud Drive on the iOS devices? Thanks again.

May 23, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Comancheria

If you want to continue to use iOS devices to edit or create documents and have them accessible to other devices and now the Mac, using iCloud is your only practical choice. There is nothing special you need to do on iDevices to save them to iCloud. That's where they go by default. On the Mac, however, you have a choice of saving them locally or on iCloud, so be aware of this.

Loosing a document is not normal, neither is them not being synced. We would need a lot more info to de-bug this. It is possible to disable iCloud Drive, as you know, but I do not advise doing that. There are many other, third-party apps that may rely on it to store their data, in addition to those made by Apple. Just make sure you're settings are the same on all devices and that you use only one Apple ID across all your IS X and iOS hardware.

One practice that might ease your mind, is to open the iCloud-saved, iOS-created documents on your new Mac. This will create a local copy of the document.

Selective Syncing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.