Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do deleted Photos App pictures go? Is there a Trash to be emptied? I can't find one.

I'm trying to slim down my Photos library because I'm running out of space on my hard drive. I understand that both iPhoto and Photos use the same source pictures for their libraries. Is this correct? If it is, then the amount of space taken up by both the Photos and iPhotos libraries should be the same rather than there being two libraries of source pictures. Is this correct? So dumping the iPhoto library won't add much if any space on my hard drive. Is this correct?

I was trying to access my iPhoto library in my Pictures folder to dump the trash in the hopes that would somehow free up some space. A popup came up saying: "In order to open iPhoto, you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store." As far as I can see I don't have a version of iPhoto on my Mac since installing Yosemite. The icon is greyed out with a line across it in my Applications folder. I can't download the updated version of iPhoto they suggest since it is listed as unavailable in the Mac App Store Canada. How do I access my iPhoto Library?

When you delete pictures from the Photos app, where do they go? There is no Photos trash to empty that I can see. If they somehow go into the iPhoto trash, I can't access it as stated above.

I like Photos better than iPhoto, but I'm getting a bit frustrated over this issue. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks for your consideration.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 22, 2015 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 6:54 PM

Yes, the libraries are hard linked together so photos aren't duplicated. So only new photos will take up more space in either application once the migration is done. Deleting one that exist between the 2 libraries still leaves a copy in the other and the space will remain approximately the same.

If you have iPhoto in your purchases in the app store, move your current version to the trash. Then open the app store and go to purchases. You should be able to now download the current version of iPhoto.

Pictures deleted from Photos goes to the Recently Deleted album. They remain there for 30 days. Access it from the menu under File. You can go there and immediately delete them if you wish.

In addition, I would not get rid of the iPhoto library just yet if you intend to use Photos. I moved my iPhoto library to an external drive. I can still access it with iPhoto from there. Note that when you move it to an external drive, the links between the 2 libraries will be broken and if you try to put it back, it will then consume extra space. At some point when I'm completely satisfied with Photos, I will delete it from there as well as the iPhoto app.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Doug Chisholm

Yes, the libraries are hard linked together so photos aren't duplicated. So only new photos will take up more space in either application once the migration is done. Deleting one that exist between the 2 libraries still leaves a copy in the other and the space will remain approximately the same.

If you have iPhoto in your purchases in the app store, move your current version to the trash. Then open the app store and go to purchases. You should be able to now download the current version of iPhoto.

Pictures deleted from Photos goes to the Recently Deleted album. They remain there for 30 days. Access it from the menu under File. You can go there and immediately delete them if you wish.

In addition, I would not get rid of the iPhoto library just yet if you intend to use Photos. I moved my iPhoto library to an external drive. I can still access it with iPhoto from there. Note that when you move it to an external drive, the links between the 2 libraries will be broken and if you try to put it back, it will then consume extra space. At some point when I'm completely satisfied with Photos, I will delete it from there as well as the iPhoto app.

May 22, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Hi! Thanks for your response. I don't have iPhoto in my Purchases in the Mac App Store. Since it came with the operating system, why would I need to purchase it? Also, I can't download iPhoto from the App Store since it isn't listed in the App Store. There is nothing to download. So, I have an iPhoto library that I can't access because I don't have a copy of iPhoto on my computer (I don't know what happened there. I didn't delete it, at least intentionally) and I can't get a copy of iPhoto because it isn't listed in the Mac App Store Canada.

May 22, 2015 7:41 PM in response to Doug Chisholm

Not all computers came with the latest version of iPhoto 11. I had to purchase the upgrade. If your computer came with the latest iPhoto 11, then you should have upgraded it to 9.6.1. If it isn't in your purchase history, then you are out of luck there.

You said it was in your application folder, but was greyed out. That means it hasn't been updated to 9.6.1 and won't work with Yosemite 10.10.3. There is no other way of obtaining it unless it is in your purchase history where you can redownload it. That's the only way to download it.

May 23, 2015 5:34 AM in response to Doug Chisholm

Doug Chisholm wrote:

There must be some other way of breaking into my iPhoto library. It wouldn't likely help me that much if I could, but I'm now curious.

There is, but it would be time consuming & would require a lot of disk space just to do it in the most straightforward way possible. What you could do is restore your Mac to a pre 10.10.3 state from a Time Machine backup -- any one that predates the install of 10.10.3 should do. That will allow you to use your older version of iPhoto to open its library.

To preserve the current startup drive state & make it easy to return to it, it would be best to clone that to an external drive (or to a partition on the startup drive if you have enough free space on it for that). If you don't already own cloning software, you could use the free version of SuperDuper! for that. Once you are done using the older, pre 10.10.3 system, clone the clone back to your normal startup drive/partition. Alternately, you could use your last Time Machine backup to do that, but it is much slower than cloning.

While you are using the pre 10.10.3 system, you could do whatever is needed in the old version of iPhoto &, if you want to save anything you could export it to another drive or partition, to a USB stick, or whatever -- anything that won't be overwritten when you return your startup disk to its most recent state.

Because this is such a hassle, I suggest that you send Apple feedback, requesting that they provide some way for users who cannot update iPhoto to the required 9.6.1 version to access its library. Obviously, the most straightforward way to do that is to allow anybody running Yosemite to download & install 9.6.1, but perhaps they will come up with something else.

Mar 15, 2016 4:26 AM in response to Doug Chisholm

It is actually very simple once you know how. Find your PHOTOS LIBRARY in the PICTURES Folder, then hold down CTRL whilst clicking on it. That will open a menu, where you will see SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS. Click on that and a new menu will open. In the MASTERS folder within that menu, all the original photographs, including those deleted, can be found organised by date.

Where do deleted Photos App pictures go? Is there a Trash to be emptied? I can't find one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.