Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some pictures display Filled instead of Fit by default

I copied a bunch of pictures taken by other devices onto my new iPhone. I find that some pictures, not many maybe 1 out of 100, display as Filled instead of Fit when I scroll to them. I can manually zoom them down to Fit, but then if I scroll to the next picture then back to the one in question, the phone displays it as Filled again.

Any ideas what can be causing this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 22, 2015 8:54 PM

1 reply

Jun 7, 2015 10:15 PM in response to sdh91

Bump. Well I don't have an answer but I've found out how to easily reproduce and characterize the problem.

First, this is all within the default Photos app. I haven't installed another image viewer so I don't know if it's even more generic.

The problem occurs when the image being displayed has an aspect ratio that is close, but not exactly equal, to the screen's native 16:9.

When the image is just slightly taller or wider than 16:9, then Photos zooms the image to Fill instead of Fit, partly cutting the image at the top and bottom, or sides (depending on whether the image was taller or wider than the screen's native 16:9).

I can easily reproduce the bug by doing the following:

- take a picture (camera defaults to 4:3 aspect ratio).

- Edit the picture in Photos.

- enter the Cropping tool

- open the list of preset aspect ratios and choose 5:3.

- Done to exit out of editing.

5:3 aspect is slightly taller than 16:9. With the image displayed correctly you would see black space on the sides of the image. But instead the image fills the screen and the top and bottom of the image are cropped off.

Interesting corollary:

- revert the image to original.

- Edit and Crop again, but this time choose 3:2 aspect.

3:2 is slightly taller than 5:3.

The image will still be displayed incorrectly (Filled) by default, however now you can pinch zoom-out to get the image fully displayed (Fitted). This is impossible at 5:3 aspect. However, if you swipe to a different image then back to the 3:2 image, it will again be displayed incorrectly.

From 3:2, the next taller preset aspect ratio is 7:5. At 7:5 and taller, images display correctly by default (Fitted not Filled).

The bug also occurs on the opposite side of 16:9. There aren't any preset aspect ratios but you can reproduce similar behavior (clipping of the sides instead of top & bottom) by manually cropping an image to wider aspect than 16:9.

I hope Apple sees this and fixes it soon!

Some pictures display Filled instead of Fit by default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.