Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy iPhoto library to photos if i do not have enough disk space or how to migrate photos library to external hard disk

I am using a macbook pro with retina deisplay with version 10.10.3

i recently upgraded to Yosemite and after that iphoto stopped working

i do not have enough disk space to migrate my iphoto library to photo

So how to store photos library on external hard disk ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on May 23, 2015 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 1:46 AM

If you want to continue to use iPhoto, update it to the compatibility update iPhoto 9.6.1, see this User Tip:

Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

When you migrate an iPhoto Library to Photos, the migrated version will be created on the same drive as the iPhoto Library. To create your Photos library on an external drive, copy your iPhoto Library to an external drive and drag it to the Photos icon in the Dock to convert it.

Your external drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) and it needs to be directly connected. It must not be a backup drive for Time Machine or WD Smartware.

If your external drives have a different format, move any data from the drive you want to use to a different volume, and the format the drive as described here for Aperture:

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Once the drive is correctly formatted you can copy the library simply by drag and drop.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 1:46 AM in response to tehzib07

If you want to continue to use iPhoto, update it to the compatibility update iPhoto 9.6.1, see this User Tip:

Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

When you migrate an iPhoto Library to Photos, the migrated version will be created on the same drive as the iPhoto Library. To create your Photos library on an external drive, copy your iPhoto Library to an external drive and drag it to the Photos icon in the Dock to convert it.

Your external drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) and it needs to be directly connected. It must not be a backup drive for Time Machine or WD Smartware.

If your external drives have a different format, move any data from the drive you want to use to a different volume, and the format the drive as described here for Aperture:

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Once the drive is correctly formatted you can copy the library simply by drag and drop.

How to copy iPhoto library to photos if i do not have enough disk space or how to migrate photos library to external hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.