Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stutter while gaming every 3-4 seconds in Windows using MacBook Pro 2012 (MacBook 9.1) using Windows 7

I'm using Windows with Bootcamp on my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro (Here is the config). Recently when I play a game, I get frequent (and somewhat constant) stutter every 2-3 seconds, no matter if it's a 2D or 3D game, no matter if I lower the graphic and resolution.

I've searched extensively in the past few days and finally went to ask it here. Things I've tried so far:

1. GPU-Z shows GPU temprature of around 90 C when I have the stutter.
  2. In Process Explorer, I can see that GPU usage is 100%, even in lowest graphic settings of low resolution of a not-AAA game. (Lara Croft and Temple of Osiris for example and Ori and The Blind Forest)
  3. I've updated my nVidia drivers to the latest.
  4. I've uninstalled everything nVidia related and installed them again.
  5. I've disabled Audio and Network drivers (as I've read they can cause stutter in cases).
  6. I've tried DPC Latency Checker and mostly I see a spike when I observe a delay.

I'm very afraid to have hardware fault since where I live, we don't have Apple stores.

Also I've installed DS3 Driver to attach a PS3 controller to my PC, even though the controller was not attached during the tests, this might've affected the performance since I've read that stutter is caused by a driver having problem doing it's task on proper time frame.

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 12:28 AM

23 replies

May 23, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I just got the normal drivers, not sure what are these game drivers, I suspect they are modified/customized to work better on specific game(s), if that, then no.

I'll try Event Viewer in a few hours but since it's happening regularly every 2-3 seconds, I thought of something abnormal. What am I looking for in Event Viewer?

I forgot to mention that I also did an extensive defrag on the drive as well, as someone was suggested in a similar thread.

May 23, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Aidinz

On a dual boot machine, a defragment operation is only on the Windows partition, which does very little for the entire disk.

9,1 is a non-Retina model with

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory (15-inch 2.3GHz configuration) or NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory (15-inch 2.6GHz configuration) and automatic graphics switching
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

What is the GPU configuration you have - the 512MB or the 1GB?

Is this your driver http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85053/en-us ?

May 23, 2015 3:30 PM in response to Aidinz

If you have a mechanical HDD, typically it is recommended that you backup your OS X installation, erase your internal HDD, restore OS X and then install Windows via BCA. First, it makes OS X contiguous. Second, the partition for Windows is on contiguous blocks. If the disk is badly fragmented by OS X, Windows can still be installed, but the underlying disk is still not contiguous.

On an SSD, you do not have such issues, but it is possible to have fragmentation on an SSD as well (the TRIM command does cleanup).

May 23, 2015 11:19 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the info.

How can I solve the problem?

Also some questions that I appreciate answers:

1. Is it normal to have %100 GPU usage in almost every game?
  2. Is 90 degrees Celsius normal?
  3. Does MBP's have silicon paste like desktop PC's? I'm afraid that might be faulty. Is there anyway to test this for example in OS X to see if hardware is faulty or software for example?
  4. How can I update Bootcamp drivers and/or roll back to Apple's?

May 24, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Aidinz

1. No.

2. The GPUs can run hot. The Macs use the mobile GPUs, not the desktop versions. The 'M' is for mobile. The only Mac that uses true Desktop GPU is the MacPro.

3. Yes, they have thermal paste. Please see https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Heat+Sink+Repl acement/10785 as an example.

4. Yes download drivers using System requirements to install Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp - Apple Support and Boot Camp: Solve Windows support software installation problems or Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers .

Stutter while gaming every 3-4 seconds in Windows using MacBook Pro 2012 (MacBook 9.1) using Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.