Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Processor power decline after years of use?

Is it particularly normal for my Macbook's old i7 to just be general rubbish these days? The old girl has gone through a couple batteries (they've expanded and pushed keys out, and have therefore been replaced) and I've also replaced the old mechanical hard drive with a solid state drive. But it seems that in the last couple of years the general decline in the ability to actually process things has become way too noticeable to not avoid. Earlier this evening it took Safari upwards of ten minutes to load a new tab and Safari (2 other tabs) is literally all I have running right now. I don't really have the money to get a new Macbook particularly after the increase in cost after the recent refresh, but if there's not anything I can do about this processor decline I'll need to look into some kind of other options.

Thanks,

Nick

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 22, 2015 9:50 PM

2 replies

May 23, 2015 12:47 AM in response to zylentis

There may be some combined issues across the configuration, that are the cause of a general slowdown;

doubt if the processors are getting slow due to age. Could you more precisely describe the MacBook Pro

model and build specification, so there may be some information to further research this product?

Also, even solid-state drives can wear out. And they do not work well if they are near full of content.

Depending on the model of computer, the solid-state drive may not be the best choice; since some

of them work with higher or slower system data bus transfer speeds.

And some SSDs use wear-leveling software to help control the effects of longer term use, to help keep

the solid state drive working efficiently. Some do not require TRIM, such as those from OWC that do

have extra capacity and built-in over-provisioning. Also what is the RAM total capacity installed?

There are reasons why the computer could be running slow, to include unnecessary software or utilities

that are not helpful and consume processor cycles; the Activity Monitor and Console logs can help tell

the what, when, and where, of some of the unknown lag. There may also be other unnecessary software

such as mackeeper, cleanmymac, and others; perhaps even adware, plus any antivirus, these slow Macs.

Some older Macs prefer to run OS X 10.8.5, a few tolerate 10.9.5; several ran well with 10.6.8, as it was

among the best OS X ever produced by Apple. Before that, 10.4.11 was a gem. Had you tried to test the

computer with an older OS X version, perhaps swap out the SSD with a fast RPM 7200 or 10,000 HDD?

Or consider a new SSD from OWC, as they offer Mercury drives of various data speed capacities and

storage size. My 2006 MacBook 1.83GHz is amazingly quick with 2GB RAM and a 160GB 7200 RPM HD.

So with more information about your computer and its combination of hardware specs and software, more

of an idea of what is going on, may result. You may have to perform some housekeeping, and remove from

the hard disk drive any older files and items you have installed; perhaps archive them to an external hard

disk drive, for storage, if you may need the content at a later date.

You could check through the Tech Guides (adware, malware, performance) at The Safe Mac site; also

note there is a link to an Adware Medic and information on that option, should want to check into it.

•The Safe Mac - Tech Guides:

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-guides/

•EtreCheck/Etresoft: (see what it is, the report it generates, and what it means; results may be posted)

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck - info + download

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck_story - about etrecheck

There is a fair chance there may be some untoward software or unnecessary product running the CPU cycles

and keeping the computer busy; or there may be some other issue with the storage drive capacity overly full.

Among other items of guesswork. If I had the computer here, I could probably fix it; but I'm a thousand miles

from anywhere. And I don't do internet all that well.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Processor power decline after years of use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.