Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play music on Apple TV from my Macbook Pro iTunes without the laptop being on?

How do I play music on Apple TV from my Macbook Pro iTunes without the laptop being on?

Currently I am able to play the music on Apple TV 3rd Gen using Home Sharing from iTunes on my Macbook Pro Early 2011 - Yosemite 10.10.3. Though the second I close the laptop the music stops.

This defeats the purpose of streaming. Is there a way I can play the music without turning on the laptop?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Apple TV 3rd Generation

Posted on May 23, 2015 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:46 AM

How is the laptop supposed to stream music if it is in sleep mode or turned off?

3 replies

May 23, 2015 6:48 AM in response to esh80

the appletv stream from the macbook as in the appletv have no storage or music on it at all it

request the audio from the macbook and play the data it receives if the macbook is off it received no data to play

that is what streaming means

you can pay for music match and keep the audio in apples cloud but thats a monthly subscription or something

your can read more about streaming here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.