Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete all pictures from my iPhone5 (over 2,000) that have already been uploaded to my MacBook?

How do I delete pictures from my iPhone 5 (version 7.1.2) that I have already imported to my MacBook? I have over 2,696 pictures and 160 short videos. I have no bytes left! I was told by the Apple store to plug my phone into my computer and when I import pictures, to check the box about deleting the pictures. I did that when I got home this afternoon. It did delete the pictures that it downloaded, but all of my other pictures are still on my phone. It seems like there should be a better way than deleting pictures one by one (especially since you have to not only delete but then confirm that you want to delete). I just double checked the photos app on my computer which said it is version 1, but has the date 2015 on it! Please help!! Thank you.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on May 22, 2015 10:52 PM

17 replies

May 23, 2015 1:03 PM in response to 21bruins

Same answer as above concerning your Camera Roll photos. You have to select and delete them manually, since they were not deleted when they were imported. As for the Photo Stream, you can turn off Photo Stream under Settings>iCloud>Photos>My Photo Stream. This will delete the Photo Stream from your device. If you turn it back on on the device, then the last month or last 1000 photos (whichever comes first) will reload under the Photo Stream album. If you want those deleted, you would need to also delete those manually.

Cheers,

GB

May 23, 2015 5:53 PM in response to gail from maine

Thank you Gail. I deleted the photo stream so that opened up some memory. I was hoping there would be an easier way to delete pictures from the phone, but I'm doing it (so many pictures of my kids and grandkids, that it is difficult)! At least I know for the future that I'll make sure to check the delete photos box before I transfer the pictures to my laptop. By the way, I love the picture of your cat...I'm keeping some pics of my old cat on my phone just for the good memories!

May 23, 2015 8:37 PM in response to Matt5555

Yes, that is correct. I used to always say "No" when it asked if I wanted to delete imported photos, and checked to make sure they had all imported before manually deleting them from my device. However, I now have Photo Stream set up on my Mac to automatically import Photo Stream photos, so I feel more comfortable deleting the import photos since now when I import they almost always come up as "duplicates" (which makes sense, since iPhoto is importing my Camera Roll Photos, and Photo Stream (which is basically a copy of my Camera Roll, is also being imported regularly.

Once you delete the photos from your device, you can sync them back via iTunes by selecting the albums or events that you want in the Photos option in iTunes.

Cheers,

GB

May 23, 2015 8:42 PM in response to 21bruins

Well, just remember that you select the Delete Photo option after you import them to iPhoto. iPhoto will ask if you want to delete them. You also have the option of leaving Photo Stream on, and setting up Photo Stream in iPhoto to automatically import to iPhoto. If you do that, then when you go to import your Camera Roll photos, it will tell you that most (if not all) of them are "Duplicates". Just say "No" to importing the duplicates and then once it it done searching your Camera Roll for photos to import, you can feel safe in saying "Yes" to Delete them from your Phone. Since they all come up as "duplicates" you know that they have been successfully imported already.

Then, when you sync to iTunes you can select specific albums or events to sync back to your phone. Give you a lot of control over what is on your device that way.

Best of luck,

GB

May 23, 2015 10:45 PM in response to Colto4

Again, the only way that I know how to delete photos from the Camera Roll or Photo Stream is to click on the Select option and then to select the photos one by one. You can select all of the individual photos you are going to want to delete before clicking on the Trash can, but I know of no way to do it other than photo by photo. Not sure how you would select "each day"....

Cheers,

GB

How do I delete all pictures from my iPhone5 (over 2,000) that have already been uploaded to my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.