Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to deselect portions of selected text?

Hey all,

A while back, before I updated to Yosemite, I had the ability to select an entire paragraph of text (click+drag), then press command+click, and deselect the portions of text I didn't want included in my selection. This was a very useful feature, especially if I wanted to deselect something in the middle of the paragraph. I can't seem to get that option back.. Any tips?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:02 AM

2 replies

May 23, 2015 8:05 AM in response to audreybiche

Audrey,

TextEdit and Pages v5.5.3 are entirely different applications. The ability to select/deselect non-contiguous text in Pages ended when Pages v5 was initially released. Pages '09 v4.3, on the otherhand, with its 100+ feature advantage over Pages v5.5.3, continues to permit non-contiguous text selection/deselection (command key + double-click).

In Pages v5.5.3, if you want a contiguous text selection you click at the beginning of the text, press the shift key, and then click at the end of the intended selection. If you have an existing selection, and you want to extend/reduce that selection, then press the shift key and then click where you want the effect to take place.

How to deselect portions of selected text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.