Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help using Seagate external hard drive with new Macbook Pro.

I have the new macbook pro operating OS X Yosemite 10.10.2. I am trying to use my seagate external hard drive but it is displaying "Read only" permissions. I was and have been using it fine with my old macbook (8 years old) which is operating on Mac OS X 10.6.8. On the old computer its "read and write". The format is Windows NT Filesystem.

How can I get this to work on my macbook pro? Do I need to reformat it?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 23, 2015 3:57 AM

17 replies

May 23, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Kiz31

You can reformat the HDD but that will delete all data that is on the HDD. If you wish to retain the data, the data would have to be off-loaded to another storage device as suggested by Cunnla.

The other option is to use a third party application such as PARAGON or TUXERA which will allow you to write to an NTFS formatted HDD.

Ciao.

May 26, 2015 4:50 AM in response to Kiz31

Hi.... I am needing some more help as I am going insane...😠

So I managed to get everything off hard drive... which was a most difficult and a tedious task!
I then reformatted, from your link, chose the Mac-Dos (Fat) as I occaisionally would connect to a friends PC.

This then petitioned the hard drive and left me no space to put anything on... perhaps I just don't understand petitioning.
So I just reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as I usually just use MAC.

Last night started trying to put everything back onto the hard drive. This also proved very slow and difficult. Quite a few files kept creating error messages saying they couldn't be read/written or something and it kept stopping the transfer. I just deleted these as I couldn't be bothered. I gave up last night, then tonight tried again tonight but now, when I connect the hard drive to the new macbook, the seagate icon appears on the desk top but I cannot open it. I open in the finder and select seagate and no data comes up and after about 1 minute it says "Did not eject properly etc bla bla..."
I connected back to the old laptop and no problems.
Please help.... this is driving me crazy!!!!

Thanks!

May 26, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Kiz31

it says "Did not eject properly etc bla bla..."

This message often occurs when the connection is broken. Try it with a different USB cable, as well as in your other Mac, as Ogelthorpe suggested.

If there is nothing important on the disk, you can reformat it on the older Mac as Mac OS Extended (journaled) with just 1 partition. Then try it on the new Mac.

To make sure there is nothing wrong with the USB ports on your new Mac, try other disks or devices in them.

May 30, 2015 12:05 AM in response to Kiz31

Its definitely not my new Macbook. Other hard drives/USBs work fine.
Tried disk repair on new macbook, still saying did not eject properly etc.
Tried on the old macbook - when it appears in the disk utility it lists "1 TBSeagate Back up" when I do repair disk it comes up "appears to be ok"

Then when I click the actual section that has all the data.... "I only have 1 partition I think" it just thinks for a while then says "Disk Utility stopped repairing- could not unmount disk"
Is it maybe just that section? Could I create a new partition and move my data from one to the other then delete the one not working? Or does creating 2 partitions delete everything on there?

Or do you think the whole thing is stuffed?

Its operating so slow... even when I try to expand a folder it takes about 40 seconds to show the contents.
I was having no problems with all of this until i got everything off and then reformatted it so it would read and write 😟

May 30, 2015 4:49 AM in response to Kiz31

It sure looks like there is something wrong with the Seagate. How old is it and is it covered by any warranty?

Could I create a new partition and move my data from one to the other then delete the one not working? Or does creating 2 partitions delete everything on there?

No. Repartitioning wipes the drive.

You said before that you had moved all the data off the drive, so you are free to erase it and format it again, preferably as Mac OS Extended (journaled). Try to do this on both the old and new Macs.

did not eject properly etc.

As mentioned earlier, this indicates a faulty connection. It could be the USB cord, or inside the Seagate enclosure, or in the power adapter or power adapter cable. Try it with a different USB cord or power adapter.

May 30, 2015 5:47 AM in response to Kiz31

Mac-Dos (FAT) NOOOOOO!!!!

You should not have listened to people saying you needed to format your drive, bad advice!!!!

Reformat drive using NTFS, then install Paragon or MACFuSe -> Problem solved.

http://osxfuse.github.io/

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I would advice you to use FUSE. Now you can read/write in OS X and still connect the drive to any Windows system.

Jun 3, 2015 2:17 AM in response to Kiz31

So I gave up for a few days as I was finding this all very frustrating.

Current situation - I tried to fix the the old computer and did a repair on the whole thing.... hoping this would help to seagate drive. I am now trying to get everything off the seagate again (as I put stuff back on when it momentarily worked after the first reformat). So getting stuff ogg so I can either reformat it or throw it in the ocean. It won't run at all on the new computer. I can get it open on the old computer (painfully slowly to open ANYTHING) but whenever I try and move a file either to the desktop or to another hard drive it takes about 2-3 minutes then says can be read error code 36.... is there any way to work around this. At this stage I just want to save everything on here and Ill get a new hard drive if I have to...

Suggestions pls!

Jun 3, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Kiz31

error code 36.... is there any way to work around this. http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9699/~/mac-error-code-36-when-tran sferring-files

How is the Seagate formatted now? Please read this article to check if you have done everything right.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Formatting_an_External_Device

It won't run at all on the new computer.

Does it show up in Disk Utility on the new computer? If so you could run Verify disk.

Basically, you need to find out if the Seagate has failed or is it still viable. You should be able to do this on a Mac or on your friend's PC. Don't throw it away just yet.

Jun 3, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Kiz31

I have not reformatted it since the first time.

That was the original dilemma... had stuff on the seagate that was read only on the new computer. So, via the old computer I transferred half onto a WD Passport hard drive and put that on the desktop of the new computer. Then the other half just on the WD passport.

I reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as per the instructions on the link.

After that, it appeared to be working, so all the stuff on the desktop of the new computer I put back on the seagate. Then for some reason it stopped working..... insert all my other questions.....

Now I am just trying to get all that stuff off again so I can attempt to reformat. On the new computer, the seagate appears on the desktop but won't open.... through disk utility it just ejects itself when trying to run repair or verify.

On the old computer through disk utility - verify comes up as "ok".

But whenever I try and drag a file either to desktop of old computer or straight to the WD passport it comes up with an error code 36.

I have tried the dot_clean thing but it keeps coming up bad path file.... it doesn't help that the "p" and "space bar" key don't work on my old computer so I have to cut and paste these.....😕

Need help using Seagate external hard drive with new Macbook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.