Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

certain websites not loading in multiple browsers

works: twitter/linkedin/pinterest/facebook

doesn't work: youtube.com, amazon.com and a lot of others when I click on twitter url's and Facebook links.

Safari Can't Open the Page

Safari can't open the page "www.amazon.com" because the server where this page is located isn't responding. I tried amazon several times last night and this morning.

10.10.3 yosemite

8.0.6 Safari

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8gb 1333 MHz DDR3

Similar issues in Firefox

in the log, I do get

5/23/15 7:01:45.870 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.WebKit.Networking.F6F9E00C-BB45-4D55-9686-4581AED36885[5315]) Service exited with abnormal code: 1

I also tried safari/preferences/privacy/remove all website data

I found an article to *forget my network* and re-establish the network, but *forget my network* isn't an option on macbook pro, i recognize the option from my iPad.

i searched and found this: but I can't figure out how to navigate this way. Below was from a 2006 post when you could navigate to library

Quit Safari. Sign off and quit AOL. Quit all open applications. Navigate to the following files:

HD > USERS > YOUR ACCOUNT > LIBRARY > PREFERENCES: Trash

com.apple.Safari.plist

HD > USERS > HOME > LIBRARY > SAFARI: Trash

History.plist

Icons (A folder)

HD > USERS > HOME > LIBRARY > CACHES: Trash

Safari (A folder)

Run Repair Permissions, restart, and try Safari again.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MacBook Pro

Posted on May 23, 2015 5:16 AM

9 replies

May 23, 2015 5:44 AM in response to Chris6154

Chris6154 wrote:

works: twitter/linkedin/pinterest/facebook

doesn't work: youtube.com, amazon.com and a lot of others when I click on twitter url's and Facebook links.

Safari Can't Open the Page

Safari can't open the page "www.amazon.com" because the server where this page is located isn't responding. I tried amazon several times last night and this morning.

10.10.3 yosemite

8.0.6 Safari

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8gb 1333 MHz DDR3

As some sites work and some don't - it can be a problem with traffic after your request leaves the internet provider to go to the particular site.

I do get that message with this site - sometimes it works on second try - sometimes it doesn't.

May 23, 2015 7:38 AM in response to Chris6154

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

May 23, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm booted up in safe mode. I can get to eBay.com and amazon.com now, no issues. My twitter/fb also work.

I didn't realize i would get all of these replies this quickly, much appreciated. While I was waiting for replies, I ran disk utility verify & repair permissions. There were about 40 permissions that got updated.

I bought this laptop second hand, and the guy is known to have all of the security settings just right & safe. I'm hoping i didn't undo some of his work with repairing permissions.

Will reboot again in normal mode, thanks much.

May 23, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Chris6154

the guy is known to have all of the security settings just right & safe

No, that's very much not the case. The system has been wrecked by installing worthless third-party software. Not only that, but it's very unsafe to use any second-hand computer that you didn't set up yourself, starting from the factory state.

Before acquiring a second-hand computer, you should have run Apple Diagnostics or the Apple Hardware Test, whichever is applicable.

The first thing to do after acquiring the computer is to erase the internal drive and install a clean copy of OS X. You—not the original owner—must do that. Changes made by Apple over the years have made this seemingly straightforward task very complex.

How you go about it depends on the model, and on whether you already own another Mac. If you're not sure of the model, enter the serial number on this page. Then find the model on this page to see what OS version was originally installed.

It's unsafe, and may be unlawful, to use a computer with software installed by a previous owner.

1. If you don't own another Mac

a. If the machine shipped with OS X 10.4 or 10.5, you need a boxed and shrink-wrapped retail Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) installation disc from the Apple Store or a reputable reseller—not from eBay or anything of the kind. If the machine is very old and has less than 1 GB of memory, you'll need to add more in order to install 10.6. Preferably, install as much memory as it can take, according to the technical specifications.

b. If the machine shipped with OS X 10.6, you need the installation media that came with it: gray installation discs, or a USB flash drive for a MacBook Air. You should have received the media from the original owner, but if you didn't, order replacements from Apple. A retail disc, or the gray discs from another model, will not work.

To start up from an optical disc or a flash drive, insert it, then restart the computer and hold down the C key at the startup chime. Release the key when you see the gray Apple logo on the screen.

c. If the machine shipped with OS X 10.7 or later, you don't need media. It should start up in Internet Recovery mode when you hold down the key combination option-command-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe.

d. Some 2010-2011 models shipped with OS X 10.6 and received a firmware update after 10.7 was released, enabling them to use Internet Recovery. If you have one of those models, you can't reinstall 10.6 even from the original media, and Internet Recovery will not work either without the original owner's Apple ID. In that case, contact Apple Support, or take the machine to an Apple Store or another authorized service provider to have the OS installed.

2. If you do own another Mac

If you already own another Mac that was upgraded in the App Store to the version of OS X that you want to install, and if the new Mac is compatible with it, then you can install it. Use Recovery Disk Assistant to prepare a USB device, then start up the new Mac from it by holding down the C key at the startup chime. Alternatively, if you have a Time Machine backup of OS X 10.7.3 or later on an external hard drive (not a Time Capsule or other network device), you can start from that by holding down the option key and selecting it from the row of icons that appears. Note that if your other Mac was never upgraded in the App Store, you can't use this method.

3. Partition and install OS X

a. If you see a lock screen when trying to start up from installation media or in Recovery mode, then a firmware password was set by the previous owner, or the machine was remotely locked via iCloud. You'll either have to contact the owner or take the machine to an Apple Store or another service provider to be unlocked. You may be asked for proof of ownership.

b. Launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the internal drive—not any of the volume icons nested beneath it. In the Partition tab, select the default options: a GUID partition table with one data volume in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. This operation will permanently remove all existing data on the drive.

c. An unusual problem may arise if all the following conditions apply:

OS X 10.7 or later was installed by the previous owner

The startup volume was encrypted with FileVault

You're booted in Recovery mode (that is, not from a 10.6 installation disc)

In that case, you won't be able to unlock the volume or partition the drive without the FileVault password. Ask for guidance or see this discussion.

d. After partitioning, quit Disk Utility and run the OS X Installer. If you're installing a version of OS X acquired from the App Store, you will need the Apple ID and password that you used. When the installation is done, the system will automatically restart into the Setup Assistant, which will prompt you to transfer the data from another Mac, its backups, or from a Windows computer. If you have any data to transfer, this is usually the best time to do it.

e. Run Software Update and install all available system updates from Apple. To upgrade to a major version of OS X newer than 10.6, get it from the Mac App Store. Note that you can't keep an upgraded version that was installed by the original owner. He or she can't legally transfer it to you, and without the Apple ID you won't be able to update it in Software Update or reinstall, if that becomes necessary. The same goes for any App Store products that the previous owner installed—you have to repurchase them.

4. Other issues

a. If the original owner "accepted" the bundled iLife applications (iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band) in the App Store so that he or she could update them, then they're irrevocably linked to that Apple ID and you won't be able to download them without buying them. Reportedly, Mac App Store Customer Service has sometimes issued redemption codes for these apps to second owners who asked.

b. If the previous owner didn't deauthorize the computer in the iTunes Store under his Apple ID, you wont be able to authorize it immediately under your ID. In that case, you'll either have to wait up to 90 days or contact iTunes Support.

c. When trying to create a new iCloud account, you might get a failure message: "Account limit reached." Apple imposes a lifetime limit of three iCloud account setups per device. Erasing the device does not reset the limit. You can still use an iCloud account that was created on another device, but you won't be able to create a new one. Contact iCloud Support for more information. The setup limit doesn't apply to Apple ID accounts used for other services, such as the iTunes and Mac App Stores, or iMessage. You can create as many of those accounts as you like.

May 23, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Chris6154

Chris6154 wrote:

i restarted in normal mode and i can pull up amazon & eBay - though a little slow. Thanks much!

Computers are never slow - they are busy -- clean up TOP SITES and RSS Feeds that may be refreshing when you go on-line -- if you clear the webdata caches and cookies - all the top sites reload anyway. If you use Safari reset - its a list of default sites - editing out a top site places the site in a list of do not automatically make this a top site no matter how often I go into it. (Top sties can be built automatically and if you don't review-the refreshes increase the work your system has to do.

May 4, 2016 7:51 AM in response to Stu Charles

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved, less people are likely to look at it. You can link to this one.

In the new post, try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

certain websites not loading in multiple browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.