Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ad pop up in Facebook app and Safari!

I have been getting the same pop up ad frequently and have no idea how to get rid of it. I get the same ad on both the Facebook app and on safari. I have tried deleting the Facebook app, tried clearing all my cookies and browser history, but nothing works. This is the pop up that appeared on my Facebook app. It appears every time I click on any link.

User uploaded file

Then, sometimes I will accidentally click it. And it brings me to the App Store. Help!!

User uploaded file

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 23, 2015 3:12 AM

11 replies

Apr 15, 2017 10:54 AM in response to moobrain

Hi Moobrain and all others out here ending up on this page,

like all of you I also ended up with nasty popups and being forwarded where I didn't had any choice.

This happens because you either on purpose or not visited some advertisement.

By clearing website data from Safari this all stops :)

Go to Settings -> Safari

Then you may choose for yourself,

->Clear history and Website Data

or go to -> Advanced ->

Apr 15, 2017 10:57 AM in response to DennisBlah

oops...

-> advanced -> Website Data

From here, again you can Clear all Website data

or.. go through your whole history and all cookies that are on your safari per website and delete the ones you want to delete.

This will solve your issue

My apologies for the second post, I accidentally submitted while typing it, and can't find where to edit my post using my iPhone

Sep 11, 2017 7:00 AM in response to moobrain

Hi!

I was experiencing the same issue lately, and tried everything, from clearing my cache in safari, to removing and installing the facebook app multiple times, but the pop-ups kept being shown.

The thing is, I only experienced it when clicking on links via facebook, never in safari, so I started digging and I found a solution which for me seems to work: Clearing your phone's browsing data within the Facebook app.

This is how you can do that:

- Go to the facebook app

- open the account menu (on most phones shown as the 3 stripes at the bottom left of the screen)

- scroll down and press 'settings'

- choose 'account settings'

- go to 'Browser'

- press 'clear data'

As explained on this screen, you will clear your phone's cookis and cache from websites you've visited while using the facebook app. These were not removed when you cleared the safari cache, and apparently also not when removing the app.

Hope this works for you too!

May 23, 2015 9:17 AM in response to moobrain

You could try an ad blocker app from the app store, I use

Adblock Mobile — Protect your phone from annoying ads. Best ad blocker to block advertisements on your iPhone and iPad. by Jennifer Hernandez

https://appsto.re/gb/2uU02.i which works on both wifi & cellular via a vpn or there's

Weblock - AdBlock for iOS by FutureMind

https://appsto.re/gb/ovUtH.i for just wifi devices. Out of the two Adblock Mobile is the best.

Dec 25, 2016 12:49 AM in response to Doctor9fan

I'm sorry for awakening this thread again after so long, but I started experiencing this problem two days ago.

It's only when I've clicked an article link in the Facebook app it happens, I have blocked pop ups (in Safari, can't find anything similar for the FB app) and have adblocker for iPhone installed already.

I close and restart the app, and the add usually goes away, but it still worries me.

I have not downloaded any new apps in weeks, so I don't have a clue why it started...

Ad pop up in Facebook app and Safari!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.