Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iMac 2007 which I want to upgrade to latest OS possible to use on this machines. What OS can I use.

I have an iMac 2007 which I want to upgrade to latest OS possible to use on this machines. What OS can I use.

Imac 7.1

Build 9L31a

Version 10.5.8

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), late 2007

Posted on May 23, 2015 4:48 AM

2 replies

May 23, 2015 6:40 AM in response to linklett

Before doing any upgrading BACKUP!!!

You can upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.3. In order to do so, ensure the computer has 4GB or greater RAM. A late 2007 iMac may accommodate 6GB. If you upgrade the RAM, buy it from either Crucial or OWC (www.macsales.com). iMacs are sensitive to RAM so it is important to use high quality RAM.

Once the RAM is in good shape, purchase Snow Leopard from Apple's online store for $20. Next download and install 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 and then navigate to the Mac App Store and download and install 10.10.3.

NOTE: Chances are you may have legacy applications installed that are PPC based. In order to continue using these apps they must either be upgraded or replaced. You will need to inventory your apps to see if they are PPC, Intel, or Universal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.