Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i import m4a files to iTunes 12?

i have some home made audio recordings in .m4a format. They were sent by email, and if i Preview them with the spacebar, they play fine. When i import them into iTunes the files are listed there, but they will not play. Anyone have any idea how to get iTunes 12 to recognize them as audio files? The iTunes info pane shows them as files in AAC. Thanks.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 6:45 PM

It seems that iTunes does not support m4a. I also try other tools but not helpful. iTunes does not have the ability to convert m4a to AAC. You can use a 3rd party audio format converter such as Switch. After conversion, add the AACs to your iTunes library.

3 replies

May 25, 2015 11:29 AM in response to wayne mitzner

.m4a is one of the file extensions that used can be used for files in AAC format. There may be some internal inconsistency with the files produced by the recording software that preview can ignore, but which iTunes baulks at. Unfortunately iTunes tends to fail silently in such cases rather than providing any information to say that something is wrong.

tt2

How can i import m4a files to iTunes 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.