Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no SSD shown in disk utility ,MBPr 15"

hi , about 8 days ago i bought a macbook pro retina 15" mid 2014 , everything was running fine i only got like 2 spinning beach balls which made me do a forced shutdown but after updating the os x to the latest firmware it was gone , about 3 days ago all of a sudden finder freezes and i had to quite it and restarted the system but after that i couldn't boot and i got the folder with the question mark , startup manager didn't work cuz there was no bootable drive , only internet recovery worked . so i made a bootable usb stick to boot the system but in disk utility my ssd was not shown , nothing only my usb stick.

im so mad , i mean the system is completely new and i paid lots of money , my battery cycle was 3 , i didn't expect to have this problem with a new apple device it's disappointing , i don't think the ssd is dead cuz it cant be its just strange

btw i have no access to an apple store, im out of country and i live in iceland

any help would be greatly appreciated

i7/16/512/ (Mid 2014)

Posted on May 23, 2015 7:07 AM

5 replies

May 23, 2015 7:41 AM in response to SeanEis

That suggests one of two conditions. The SSD has failed or the connection to it is faulty. To test, you would have to take out the SSD, install it in an enclosure, connect it externally to the MBP and see if it would boot it. Considering your location, that may prove to be difficult.

If you purchased the MBP from Apple, not a reseller, you do have the option of returning it to Apple for an exchange or a refund. If that is the case, consider contacting Apple for instructions on returning the MBP.

Ciao.

May 23, 2015 11:28 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

thanks i will try that. in the worst case if that also failed then that means theres no other way and i have to replace the SSD ?, i checked and i have a warranty till april 26 2016-will opening the system and doing as you said void the warranty ?

and yes i purchased the MBP from a reseller , will i be able to make use of the warranty ?

no SSD shown in disk utility ,MBPr 15"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.