Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't edit software track

Hi I am trying to do one continuous tone in garageband using the 'musical typing' grand piano software instrument. I am trying to edit the track as you would any other track (real instrument etc.) and it is just not working.

After about 10 seconds of recording the tone on the piano just stops playing, so I hit stop and drag the track back to the tone so there is no dead space. This works fine.

When you record this you can't play the note from the very beginning of recording. You have to hit record then the note, so there is a tiny gap at the beginning of the track of dead space.So when I try to loop this track there is subsequently a tiny gap at the beginning of every track. I need this tone to run for about 30 minutes continuously.

The track won't let me drag the beginning of the region to get rid of the gap, it just won't do it. If I try and split the track to get rid of the dead gap, the note in the latter region of the track just disappears. Its infuriating.

I don't know if this helps but Ive also noticed that if I have said track and a loop of the same track next to it and i start listening to the 1 st track half way through, there is just silence and then when it gets to the start of the looped track, the note begins. But if i set it to play from the very beginning, the tone plays all the way through both the original and looped tracks. Its weird.

Please can anyone help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:00 AM

5 replies

May 26, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Zombola

I think you are doing a couple of mistakes due to some misconceptions.

If you want to record the first note exactly on the downbeat of bar 1, use the Count-in feature

User uploaded file

If you have a note that doesn't start on the downbeat and you want it to start at the downbeat, don't move the Region, Move the MIDI Note. Go to the Piano Roll Editor and drag the Note Event to the position you want.

User uploaded file

A piano note does not "last" for 30 minutes. It has a release time (or decay). If you want to use a sustained note, you have to use a synth note or loop that piano sample. Also make sure that the Region that contains the single long note, is also 30 minutes long. the end of a Region turns off any "ongoing" MIDI Note

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jun 1, 2015 1:15 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar,

Thank you very much for your reply. I still think theres something strange going on.

Your count in advice worked - and dragging the actual note to the very beginning and end, so I have no gaps also worked, so now I have one continuous note.

If I drag the 'region' all the way, it now plays all the way through which is great, Ive never had to do that with real instruments so was unaware of it.

Playing a 'piano' or a 'synth' doesn't seem to make a difference, it just stops playing after about a minute. Its not a decay, the note doesn't reduce over time, it just stops.

Regardless of that, when I 'loop' my one continuous note (that has no gaps whatsoever) there is still a little 'tut' noise in between each loop, which is essentially the same problem. There are no spikes or anything in the waveform, just one continuous bar. Is there any way to eradicate this?

And - I still can't listen from say half way through any looped region, there is just silence unless I start it playing from the very beginning. If I do start it playing half way through, the note then starts from the beginning of the next looped region. This of course isn't really an issue being just the same note all the way through, but if I record any vocals over the top on a separate track and want to edit them, not hearing the piano tone underneath (until it reaches the next loop) will be a real pain in the arse. I only say this because I think it is highlighting some other undiagnosed issue.

Thank you

Ash

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Zombola

Two things going on here:

Loop

If you want one continuous tone, then DON'T use looped Regions. At every loop segment, the note will be re-triggered. Instead, drag the Region on the lower right border (the Pointer Tool switches to the Resize Tool) all the way to the right and then extend the MIDI Event inside that Region using the Piano Roll Editor.

Chase

As far as I know, GarageBand plays a MIDI Event only at the start of a MIDI Event. Let's say that note starts a bar 2 and lasts till bar 10, then you will hear the note only when the Playhead crosses (or starts) at bar 2. Starting after bar 2 will not "trigger" the note. Logic Pro has a feature called "Chase" that you can enable. It looks back on any ongoing note and "re-triggers" it. This has advantages and disadvantages, depending what type of music or instruments you are using.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Can't edit software track

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.