Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I back up an external drive to time machine

Hi all,

My configuration is as follows:

I am using a Macbook Air and a Time Capsule. Due to the size of the SSD, I store all my documents and photos on an external hard drive, which is connected to Time Capsule via the USB drive. I am now trying to use Time Machine and would like Time Machine to back up both what's on my Macbook Air and the external drive. Is it possible to do this? So far, I have not been able to find the external drive under the "Exclude these items from backups" option which means there is no option to include it.

My question is, is it possible to backup the contents of the external drive, which is connected to the time capsule via USB, to Time Machine?

Thanks

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:39 AM

2 replies

May 23, 2015 6:46 AM in response to musicjack

I am now trying to use Time Machine and would like Time Machine to back up both what's on my Macbook Air and the external drive. Is it possible to do this?

Sorry, but no. Time Machine will only back up a Mac and an external drive that is connected directly to the Mac.

So, if you want to back up the external drive to the Time Capsule using Time Machine, you will need to connect it to your Mac using USB, Firewire, etc., and then remove the drive from the Excluded list in Time Machine Preferences / Options.

If you do not want to change the location of the drive that is now connected to the Time Capsule, a commercial application like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper could back up the contents of the external drive to the Time Capsule, but these will not be Time Machine backups, of course.

How can I back up an external drive to time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.