Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minidisplayport supporting desired Resolution?

Hello everyone, I have an 21:9 Curved UltraWide Monitor (34")(WQHD) that has the resolution 3440 x 1440 and want to connect this to my Mac Pro (Mid 2012) through an Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter. I want to know since this is a 4k adapter will it still support the WQHD resolution after I connect it and also carry audio over as well not just a video signal. (Note: My current graphics card is an Radeon HD5770 1 GB so I know that supports up to 2560 x 1600 and I will be upgrading my card to support a higher resolution in the nearby future). If there is another adapter that will support my needs please refer them but for now I am hoping this Belkin 4k Mini DisplayPort will suffice.

Monitor Specs:

• Screen Size Class (diagonal) (Inputs/Outputs) : HDMI x 2 (Power): Type: Adapter
  • Panel Type Headphone Out x 1 Input: 100~240v
  • Color Gamut (CIE1931) Display Port x 1 Normal On(EPA 6.0): TBD
  • Aspect Ratio Thunderbolt x 2
  • Resolution
  • Brightness (typical)
  • Contrast Ratio(Original)
  • Viewing Angle (CR≥10)
  • Surface Treatment
  • 34" Class (34.0" diagonal)
  • IPS
  • SRGB 99%
  • 21:9
  • 3440x1440
  • 300 cd/m2
  • 1M:1 (DFC)
  • 178/178

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 2012 Quad Core 3.2GHz

RAM 32 Gb

SSD: 512GB Crucial SSD

HDD: 2TB 7200rpm

OS X Yosemite

Mac Pro

Mac Pro

Posted on May 23, 2015 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 8:37 AM

it would appear that the adapter does support the resolution in question, but there are other adapters that do-kanex, moshi to name two. not all 4k displayport to HDMI adapters support audio-pass through but this one does. You should be good to go

on a side note: 21:9 34" " curved UltraWide Monitor ? Nice, Very Nice. Dude I am very awestruck. Must have cost you lots of ducats. Now, all you have to do is upgrade the video card. the R9 is possible, as is sapphiretech's 7950. you could even go with a flashed PC card, which ought to work. check out macvidcards.com (don't know about 'em personally, haven't used 'em, don't work there--only bit of info I know right now). Upgrading it is super easy. too. All you might need is a small phillips screwdriver, oh and this little nugget. there's a bar on the logic board which might be moved back before you install the video card. the button to do this is on the fan shroud towards the back of the mac Pro. If you don't push that button and get that bar going back, you're going to have a heck of a hard time getting that video card installled, and of course, don't forget to plug in the power cables. Other than that, you're A-OK

John B

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Avdobe

it would appear that the adapter does support the resolution in question, but there are other adapters that do-kanex, moshi to name two. not all 4k displayport to HDMI adapters support audio-pass through but this one does. You should be good to go

on a side note: 21:9 34" " curved UltraWide Monitor ? Nice, Very Nice. Dude I am very awestruck. Must have cost you lots of ducats. Now, all you have to do is upgrade the video card. the R9 is possible, as is sapphiretech's 7950. you could even go with a flashed PC card, which ought to work. check out macvidcards.com (don't know about 'em personally, haven't used 'em, don't work there--only bit of info I know right now). Upgrading it is super easy. too. All you might need is a small phillips screwdriver, oh and this little nugget. there's a bar on the logic board which might be moved back before you install the video card. the button to do this is on the fan shroud towards the back of the mac Pro. If you don't push that button and get that bar going back, you're going to have a heck of a hard time getting that video card installled, and of course, don't forget to plug in the power cables. Other than that, you're A-OK

John B

Minidisplayport supporting desired Resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.