Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solo function in Logic 10.1.1 not working

Hi, When I solo a track Logic does not solo everything. No 'solo safe' red slashes are present and as you can see from the screen shot loads of the tracks still play. It happens on both audio and midi tracks. Equally if I mute a audio track strip it doesnt work. I have to mute individual regions. This was not the same in L9 where if you solo a track, ALL other tracks would be muted. If you mute a track , it would mute all the regions on that track. Anyone any ideas? User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 3.7Ghz Quad Core Inter Xeon

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2017 4:47 PM

Hi Alexander,

In reply to your original post I found that I had the same problem. I have the feeling that in your thread various aspects of the solo function were discussed, yet I'd like to chip in on the problem mentioned in the original post.

Pressing the S button on a track did draw a yellow frame around its regions but it did not really solo the track. This occurred when I upgraded from Logic Pro 9 to Logic Pro X. I discovered that in keyboard assignments the S key was assigned to "Channelstrip Solo ein/ausschalten" (toggle channelstrip solo). This needs to be changed to "Spur Solo ein/ausschalten" in "Spuren im Hauptfenster" section. If you do that, soloing a track works as expected.

See the attached screenshot. Hope the German language is clear to folks with other languages.

Best,

Sven

PS: sorry for posting on a 2y old thread but I got the impression the original problem was not addressed.

User uploaded file

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2017 4:47 PM in response to Alexander Nuttgens

Hi Alexander,

In reply to your original post I found that I had the same problem. I have the feeling that in your thread various aspects of the solo function were discussed, yet I'd like to chip in on the problem mentioned in the original post.

Pressing the S button on a track did draw a yellow frame around its regions but it did not really solo the track. This occurred when I upgraded from Logic Pro 9 to Logic Pro X. I discovered that in keyboard assignments the S key was assigned to "Channelstrip Solo ein/ausschalten" (toggle channelstrip solo). This needs to be changed to "Spur Solo ein/ausschalten" in "Spuren im Hauptfenster" section. If you do that, soloing a track works as expected.

See the attached screenshot. Hope the German language is clear to folks with other languages.

Best,

Sven

PS: sorry for posting on a 2y old thread but I got the impression the original problem was not addressed.

User uploaded file

May 23, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Alexander Nuttgens

Dont know if it's an ASC related issue or a User error but your screenshot isn't displaying........

User uploaded file

Can you try again please?

Having said that... this sounds like the mute problem will be something you have done as this is not normal behavior... Solo/Mute works normally here as exopected and has done so throughout the lifetime of LPX.

May 23, 2015 8:28 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hi Art of Sound, thanks for the reply. here it is as a jpeg - see if this works! In terms of the mute tracks - I can mute the regions individually, but when you press the M on the channel strip it should mute all regions in that track. Mine does not do so and it has dumbfounded me so many times since I upgraded.I dont think that it is user error in this case!

Thanks.

User uploaded file

May 23, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Alexander Nuttgens

but when you press the M on the channel strip it should mute all regions in that track.

Ah, thats a slightly different description compared to earlier, of your problem.... and is easily fixed... as it seems you have a different Key Command Assignment...

This maybe because of the Key Command Preset you are currently using

Check the Key Command Edit screen.... below

User uploaded file

Assign the key commands as shown ... with Shift and M to mute selected regions and M to mute tracks,... or however you wish to set it up yourself.. Some people reverse the key combination and use Shift & M to mute tracks and use M to mute selected regions.. Your choice.

May 25, 2015 4:52 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hi Art of Sound, Thanks for this.

I realise that I need to be more specific. I do already have the key commands set up as as you suggest. However if I mute the channel strip, it does indeed grey out all the regions on that track. However when I hit playback, those muted regions are still playing and therefore not muted when Logic says that they should be.

If I solo the channel strip all the regions on the track look like they have been soloed. But as you saw from the screenshot Logic only partially mutes everything else and seems to be random about which tracks are indeed muted. However if I 'Shift S' on a region then Logic solos that region correctly ie everything else is muted.

Would you know whether there are switches or preferences to determine how solo and mutes behaves in Logic 10.1.1?

many thanks.

May 25, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Alexander Nuttgens

Something is certainly not right... as I have never come across such behavior.....

First thing to try would be...

Click any channel strip's solo button to solo it, then option-click the same solo button to turn off all solo buttons.

Now test..

Next up would be to check automation to make sure you haven't got anything accidentally recorded that could be causing this..

Finally....

Have you tried the true and tested 'fix all' for weird issues such as this?

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files. To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Logic Pro
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  4. Press the Go button.
  5. Remove the "com.apple.logic10.plist" file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you've programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You might want to export your custom key commands before performing this step.
  6. Remove the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder. (Note this is the control surface settings file. You may need to set up your control surfaces again after deleting this)
  7. Restart the computer.

Note: If you cannot find any of the files listed, you did not follow the instructions exactly as written! 🙂

Im not aware of any specific settings for Solo that could cause such behavior.....

May 26, 2015 10:41 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hi Art of Sound,

Following on - it seems that unlike L9, Logic X no longer solo's tracks that have been set up multitimbrally. So where I use multis for instruments such as Omnisphere Logic X cannot solo them. To be able to use solos I have to open a new instance of Omnisphere for every track, and put up with the resultant load on the CPU. It makes is even more frustrating given Logic X no longer has the 'Show channel strip / plug in insert' pull down options, which means that you have to open a window for every plug in instance. Bizarre set of programming decisions by the Logic X designers!!!

May 26, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Alexander Nuttgens

If I understand you correctly... Please try this..

1) Create a new project

2) Create a multi-timbral (MT) Software instrument in the Create Track Dialog Box (I set the number of tracks to 4)

3) Click on the Solo button of the first track of the MT instrument. When I do so all 4 tracks solo...

4) Click on the Mute button of the first track of the MT instrument. When I do so all 4 tracks Mute as expected..

Is this not what happens for you?

Or...

Are you describing something else?

If so, can you create a new project and list your exact steps one by one so i can try and recreate what you are seeing..

Thanks..

Nigel

Note: I'm in the studio for the next few hours but Ill check back later....

May 26, 2015 11:05 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hi Nigel, yes it does work in the way you describe when set up as above. But that doesnt help if you want to solo only one of the Omnisphere's channels, as any use of solos become global for that VI. However in L9 I used to use the midi environment to create multi's, and L9 treated each multi channel as a separate instance and allowed solos to be individual.

I think that the solution for the moment is not to create/use multi's until such time as Apple might possibly recognise they have gone backwards on this.

Thanks

Alexander.

May 26, 2015 12:51 PM in response to Alexander Nuttgens

Ah yes, indeed I agree... now I understand what you mean... (My apologies for being a little slow)

My workaround in Omnisphere for example.. is to use the solo/mute buttons in Omni's Multi interface rather than use Logic's... Same applies for Kontakt....

It's not the most elegant solution/workaround I agree..... but it does work.

Having said that i tend to stick to the one track - one instance method.... so i rarely have to use the workaround..

The upside of using one instance per track is while it does add a degree of extra CPU for each instance, you then get a better spread of load across multiple available cores so that can work as a benefit rather than a detriment..... and overall you can get equal if not better performance using the one instance per track method compared to the multi method.

Solo function in Logic 10.1.1 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.