Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will taking out the SIM card reset all data?

I'm trying to sell these old phones I have and I can't seem to get into some of them because they have pass codes I forget. Is it possible to take out the SIM card then sell it to someone, so they can put a new one in? Or do I have to get into the iPhone settings and reset the data? I want these phones just to be wiped clean.

Posted on May 23, 2015 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 7:29 AM

No, removing the SIM will do nothing at all. If these are simply the screen slide to unlock pass codes, just restore the devices as new in iTunes. If this is Activation Lock (find my iphone) passcodes, that is, the AppleID and password of the devices iCloud account, then You can do nothing until or unless you recover those AppleID passwords. Since they will be useless to anyone else with Activation Lock enabled (which cannot be bypassed, hacked or otherwise removed), it would be unethical to sell them for anything but their possible used internal parts.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Mpd_

No, removing the SIM will do nothing at all. If these are simply the screen slide to unlock pass codes, just restore the devices as new in iTunes. If this is Activation Lock (find my iphone) passcodes, that is, the AppleID and password of the devices iCloud account, then You can do nothing until or unless you recover those AppleID passwords. Since they will be useless to anyone else with Activation Lock enabled (which cannot be bypassed, hacked or otherwise removed), it would be unethical to sell them for anything but their possible used internal parts.

Oct 30, 2017 6:52 AM in response to Kenziepanozzo

Kenziepanozzo wrote:

I’m trying to log into my new Apple account but this keeps popping up. I’m not logged into any accounts right now so I can’t get any apps what do I do?

You are more likely to get the help you need if, rather than post your unrelated issue onto an old thread, you start a new one. It's also more polite to the original poster.

You'll need to create an Apple ID on another Apple device, then log in on the iPhone.

Oct 30, 2017 1:03 PM in response to Kenziepanozzo

Every iOS device only allows a few new iCloud accounts to be created on them. Once that lifetime limit has been reached, you can no longer create an AppleID and new iCloud account on the device.

You will need to find another Apple device to actually create the iCloud account for your use. Once you do that, you'll be able to sign in on that device - you just cannot make any new accounts on that device now.

Will taking out the SIM card reset all data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.