Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get read and write permission to my iMovie library?

My iMac died and my time machine La Cie has my old iMovie library and my old iPhoto library. When I try to load them on to my new iMac, the icons are greyed out and I get the message

"Permission error opening/Volumes/LaCie/Backups.backupdb/Richard Hunt's Computer (3)2015-04-18-065112/Macintosh HD/Users/rtjhunt/Movies/iMovie Library.imovielibrary/CurrentVersion.flexolibrary

Projects and Events require read and write permission."

What do I do to get read and write permission for iMovie, iPhoto, and Aperture?

Thanks,

Rick Hunt

iMac 10,1, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 8:54 AM

This article may help you:

http://macs.about.com/od/Troubleshooting/qt/Fixing-Time-Machine-Errors-The-Backu p-Volume-Is-Read-Only.htm

Geoff.

11 replies

May 23, 2015 10:57 AM in response to rtjhunt

On my machine iMovie library permissions are:

<username> (Me) Read & Write

admin Read only

everyone Read only

Right-click > get info on your iMovie library and look at the Sharing & permissions settings at the bottom of the Info window. Your user name should be set Read & Write. If it is not click on padlock, enter your admin password and correct your username privileges.

Geoff.

May 23, 2015 12:54 PM in response to GeeD

Geoff,

My user name--rtjhunt--was set to read and write on both the La Cie time machine and my new iMac and it still gives me the same message I even changed the permissions on the system, wheel, and everyone on my iMovie to Read & Write. The La Cie has rtjhunt (Me) as read & write, and staff and everyone as read only.

May 23, 2015 1:17 PM in response to GeeD

Geoff,

Yes, I am now copying it to a 1TB Toshiba drive that has the box checked on "Ignore ownership on this volume." It will take about 30 minutes to copy the 45.89GBs of this iMovie Library. I am hopeful this will work--probably do the same with my iPhotos on the La Cie. I will let you know if this works.

May 23, 2015 1:54 PM in response to rtjhunt

Geoff,

The copying of the La Cie iMovie Library to my external Toshiba Red worked! Many thanks for your persistence and expertise. I would like to send you one of my travel adventure movies. I got all of my Trans-Siberian video clips retrieved so I can now work on that travel adventure. My travel blog is rtjhunt.blogspot.com and you can email me your address at rtjhunt@yahoo.com

Thanks again.

Rick Hunt

How do I get read and write permission to my iMovie library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.