Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can different users on the sam Mac share a photo library?

Hi,

I've been getting to know Photos app now that it appears to have usurped iPhoto.

In the past, my wife and I have shared one photo library which is saved in Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > Pictures

I've now set this as my System Library using Photos, but my wife can't as it's greyed out when she tries (Option + launch app).

Can we share the same library? If so, how?

If not, why not as we don't feel the need to keep separate libraries for all our pics.

Thanks

Ali

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:23 AM

10 replies

May 23, 2015 11:30 AM in response to LarryHN

Best way is iCloud Photo Library - then all of your Macs and IOS devices can share the same library

Only this requires that both users will have to share an iCloud account and trust each other with a common iCloud password. Using the same iCloud Photo Library on all devices with also result in sharing the iCloud Mail, iCloud Contacts, iCloud Calendar, Bookmarks.

Unless one of the two will only use the web interface. But it still would require to trust the second person with the iCloud password.

May 24, 2015 9:26 AM in response to léonie

leonie

the library is on the iMac's internal drive under "User > Shared" so we can both access it.

However, it would appear that we both can't.

Don't intend to put it on to an EHD as I back up using an Apple Time Capsule and would prefer not to save to s source that may lose all my photos - and as I understand it, I can't partition the TC to create a space to save this sort of thing.

Don't intend to put them all on iCloud (as suggested by LarryHN) as there are just too many (saved over the last 14 years).

Don't intend to take part in a reality show, not with our pictures (ahem!). And yes, I trust my wife implicitly.

Any other thoughts?

Ali

May 24, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Alastair Barclay

Don't intend to put it on to an EHD as I back up using an Apple Time Capsule and would prefer not to save to s source that may lose all my photos

If you use a separate EHD to house your library it will also be backed up with Time Machine and you won't be putting it at risk. I have 2 EHDs that are backed up with my TM along with my boot drive.

As far as trusting wives that's not the issue. It's having to put up with going thru all of her emails and messages from her friends to get to my emails and messages. Also I get so many email from the ASC forums that she wouldn't want to do the same.

May 24, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Alastair Barclay

the library is on the iMac's internal drive under "User > Shared" so we can both access it.

However, it would appear that we both can't.

Sharing a library in a Shared folder stopped working with iPhoto '11. It does not suffice to have read/write access to the folder. As soon as someone writes to the library, this will add items to the photo library with different ownership settings. And you will continually have to repair the photo library before your spouse can access it. To share the library it needs to be on a separate drive or partition where the ignore ownership flag can be set. Only that will work.

Apple explained this here for iPhoto, the same goes for Aperture or Photos: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Can different users on the sam Mac share a photo library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.