Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will all my photos on my MacBook Pro be deleted if I delete iPhoto Library.photolibrary?

Today I was just looking through my Mac's file system and I made my way to the Photo's folder. I was looking through it and I found this file called 'iPhoto Library.photolibrary' I assumed that it was related to iPhoto, and wanted to delete it because it took up almost 40 gigabytes! However, since iPhoto also manages photos, I was worried if it would delete all my photos when I delete that file. Please give me a response to my situation.

Thank you.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:30 AM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 10:10 AM in response to MrBOBY02

It will not delete any place except iPhoto -- However it also will not save much space since iPhoto and Photos share the same original using Hard Links - Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support - all you will save is some library overhead - the system storage requirement will essentially be unchanged by deleting it - and you will have totally cut off your ability to go back to iPhoto if you need or want to - I suggest you not delete it yet

LN

Will all my photos on my MacBook Pro be deleted if I delete iPhoto Library.photolibrary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.