Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Numbers is not opening .xls files. Only opens .xlsx

My Numbers (v. 3.5.3) is now only opening .xlsx excel files. I need it to open .xls files. Can I open any of my .xls files that I was able to open on my previous computer with Numbers? I just upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.10.3 and the Numbers version is the one that came free.

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:07 AM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 10:24 AM in response to Wayne Contello

I just dragged one onto the icon on the doc to see if that makes a difference and it did not. Any way that I try to open an .xls file it gives me this pop up window:

User uploaded file

I can open the .xlsx files just fine. I believe this started when I updated to 3.5.3 but it could have been before and I just did not have a need to open /vls until now. I know I was opening them fine before.

My Numbers is not opening .xls files. Only opens .xlsx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.