Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All applications crash in my 2011 Macbook Pro after a few minutes of operation

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro that recently had a hard drive failure. I went to an Apple service provider and I got a new 500 GB drive, and did a fresh install of OS X Yosemite. Unfortunately, Safari, iTunes, the App Store, and Firefox applications will all work for a few minutes before they "quit unexpectedly" (I'm writing this on borrowed time). It was exhibiting the same type of failures before the last hard drive failed, and things got progressively worse until the entire computer no longer could start. I don't know what could be causing the problem because there were problems immediately when only default applications were installed.

Its specs are:

OSX Yosemite, 10.10.3

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Early 2011 Model

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:39 AM

It sounds that your MBP is experiencing kernel panics. If so, log and post one using these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201753

Ciao.

6 replies

May 23, 2015 10:22 AM in response to chubsters

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

May 23, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the responses. I tried starting in safe mode, and midway through booting up the computer crashed. I then tried rebooting normally, and I can no longer get onto my main account without my Mac crashing immediately after entering my login information. So things are going further downhill. Strangely the guest account seems to work perfectly fine and I am logged on to that now.

In response to OGELTHORPE, I viewed my diagnostic reports folder and it appeared I had several (around 30) crash reports since I reconfigured my computer a few days ago. Unfortunately I wanted to test my computer in safe mode before I posted here again, and now it looks like I will have a hard time trying to access those files again. If I can find a way to log back on to my main account I will try to post a few of them here.

All applications crash in my 2011 Macbook Pro after a few minutes of operation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.