Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between .cst and .patch?

I'm currently in the process of putting together quite an extensive instrument library, however when doing so I can't seem to tell the difference/benefits between saving my channel strip loaded with the necessary plugins and instrument as a 'Channel Strip Setting' (.cst) or an 'Instrument' (.patch).

Could someone tell me which is more appropriate and why? As I don't really want to get this wrong as it could mean re-saving all the items in my library one by one at a later date.

Thanks

Logic Studio, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:32 AM

2 replies

May 24, 2015 10:56 PM in response to alasdairfromreading

Before you decide which one to use and what the advantages/disadvantages are, you have to know their difference.

Think of a nested structure of three levels: Plugin Settings - Channel Strip Settings - Patches

The Plugin Settings stores all the parameters of a single Plugin In

The Channel Strip Settings stores all the Plugins (with their current Plugin Settings) that is used on the current Channel Strip

The Patch stores the Channel Strip plus any other Channel Strip that belongs to that "signal flow", i.e. Aux Sends with their Aux Channel Strips.

Here is a diagram from my manual "Logic Pro X - How it Works" where I explain all the details about that topic.

User uploaded file

If your Instrument Library only contains single Channel Strip that don't rely on Aux sends routing, then you can use Channel Strips. However, you still can save them as Patches, they just include that one Channel Strip.

BTW, a Patch is a Package File. You can open it up in the Finder and you will see Channel Strip Settings files inside plus other metadata.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Difference between .cst and .patch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.