Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help freeing up memory on Mac book pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core 17,4GB, 1333Mz,DDR3

I am running out of memory and I need to reduce start up items and close some APP's, not sure how to do this. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:32 AM

The general approach is to open Activity Monitor to MY PROCESSES and quit any that you are not using.

However you may not have the problem that you may believe you have. Please advise the OSX that you have installed.

I am guessing, based on the information that you have provided, that you have a 2011 MBP. Is that correct?

Ciao.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 9:32 AM in response to jax1911

The general approach is to open Activity Monitor to MY PROCESSES and quit any that you are not using.

However you may not have the problem that you may believe you have. Please advise the OSX that you have installed.

I am guessing, based on the information that you have provided, that you have a 2011 MBP. Is that correct?

Ciao.

May 23, 2015 10:06 AM in response to jax1911

With Mavericks and Yosemite, the way OSX uses RAM is radically different than with prior OSX's. Pleas read this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

The OSX will try to use as much RAM as is available so the new metric is PRESSURE not the amount of RAM being used. If it is GREEN, then operation is satisfactory, if yellow, orange or red, then adjustments should be made.

Though not mandatory, I would encourage you to install a total of 8 GB RAM. Yosemite will run more efficiently as a result. The best sources of Mac compatible RAM are OWC and Crucial.

Ciao.

Need help freeing up memory on Mac book pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core 17,4GB, 1333Mz,DDR3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.