Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant access playstation network

Hi,

I have been using an AirPort Time Capsule (4th generation) for several years and it was working fine.

Since a couple of days i can't access the Playstation Network (PSN). I can't access it from any of my device connected in wi-fi with the time capsule, my PS4, my PC, my MAC and my Ipad.

But when i plug my Mac or my PS4 directly into the cable modem it is working fine.

I tried to reboot everything multiple time.

I have reset the time capsule.

I have tried to revert to the 7.6.3 version of the firmware.

Nothing works, as soon as i use the time capsule to connect to the internet, the PSN won't work, either in wi-fi or ethernet.

Everything else i access on the Internet is working fine, the time capsule only blocks the PSN.

Anybody have seen this before ?

-Thanks

-Francois

Time Capsule (4th generation)-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on May 23, 2015 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 2:33 PM

Your TC might be right in the gap between dead and alive.. ie it is half working and half not.

Certainly they have a reliable working life of 3years (with luck) and beyond that should be replaced.

You have done most of the stuff I would advise people to do.. except IMHO 7.6.3 is worse than later one.. I would go back to 7.6.4

My suggestions would be as follows.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer or ipad etc.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

Beyond these I do not think anything is going to fix the situation.

Tell me what is the cable modem, make and model?

Is it running in router mode or is it pure modem? Is the TC bridge or router?

Do you have a double NAT error?

Post a few screenshots and do a traceroute to the PSN network for me .. direct to the cable modem.. and then via the TC so I can see where it is failing.

Have you changed anything in recent days.. OS upgrades, new equipment.. anything that is different??

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 2:33 PM in response to francoisdelisle

Your TC might be right in the gap between dead and alive.. ie it is half working and half not.

Certainly they have a reliable working life of 3years (with luck) and beyond that should be replaced.

You have done most of the stuff I would advise people to do.. except IMHO 7.6.3 is worse than later one.. I would go back to 7.6.4

My suggestions would be as follows.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer or ipad etc.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

Beyond these I do not think anything is going to fix the situation.

Tell me what is the cable modem, make and model?

Is it running in router mode or is it pure modem? Is the TC bridge or router?

Do you have a double NAT error?

Post a few screenshots and do a traceroute to the PSN network for me .. direct to the cable modem.. and then via the TC so I can see where it is failing.

Have you changed anything in recent days.. OS upgrades, new equipment.. anything that is different??

May 24, 2015 1:51 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the infos.

I tried the hard reset but it did not fix the issue.

This morning i logged into my PS4 and games that i could not download because of the connection issues where installed during the night. So the PS4 was able to connect to the PSN sometime during the night and finish the downloads. That append before i got to hard reset the time capsule.

But right now the problem is back, i still cant connect.

I will replace my time capsule, i havent decided yet if it will be with another one.

-Thanks.

May 24, 2015 3:02 PM in response to francoisdelisle

Try going back to 7.6.1 firmware as I find that rather better..

Certainly for PC or anything that uses upnp.. ie everything but apple.. buy yourself a standard router.. I won't suggest but I use something I can install a third party on like gargoyle.. (I am not allow to give you URL to it just google). Apple deletes my posts if I say too much.

Then bridge the TC to the router and you can continue to use it.. at least until it shows more signs of decay.. it can be a poor router but a fine WAP for apple stuff on your network. The latest TC is well worth skipping as a new one must be due soon.. !!

Cant access playstation network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.