Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Periodic jobs running in middle of day?

In some version between OS X Snow Leopard and Yosemite, the schedule of the periodic tasks were changed from specific times to intervals. i.e. daily tasks in Snow Leopard were always run at 3.15am, whereas in Yosemite they're run at an interval of 86400 seconds. (

Is there a good reason for this? I was expecting my periodic tasks to run in the middle of the night...

Cheers,

Steve

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:29 AM

The run at 0315 model dates from an era when log purging and rotation was a disruptive task using a large fraction of the system resources and computers ran continuously, lived in a data-centre and needed a truck to move from one time zone to another.

These are no longer applicable, and it is very annoying to have the computer on your bedside table spring into life at 0315 to spend half a second performing maintenance.

C.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Steve Folly

The run at 0315 model dates from an era when log purging and rotation was a disruptive task using a large fraction of the system resources and computers ran continuously, lived in a data-centre and needed a truck to move from one time zone to another.

These are no longer applicable, and it is very annoying to have the computer on your bedside table spring into life at 0315 to spend half a second performing maintenance.

C.

May 23, 2015 11:37 AM in response to cdhw

Thanks cdhw. I kinda guessed that would be a reason.

It is a server that I'm running that does stay on 24/7 albeit not in an air-conditioned data centre (and neither is it at my bedside) ;-)

It was handy to have my tasks run at night because they're doing remote connectivity stuff which impacts internet bandwidth. I guess I'll have to move them to run as their own launch daemon, not chained off the periodic tasks.

Thanks.

Periodic jobs running in middle of day?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.