Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) has corrupt Serial Number

I have an iMac 27 inch (late 2013) and the FaceTime HD camera used to work. But now it no longer functions, the light no longer comes on, and the mic also no longer works. The camera does show up under System Hardware overview, however, the Seial Number is corrupt, compared with my Thunderbolt Display FaceTime HD Camera:

FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in):

Product ID: 0x8511

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 72.30

Serial Number: øë_î z¼i |v14

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x14700000 / 3

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Built-In: Yes

FaceTime HD Camera (Display):

Product ID: 0x1112

Version: 71.60

Serial Number: CC***********DFX

Location ID: 0x80150000 / 4

I'm not sure if this happened as a result of upgrading to Yosemite (as several others have reported non functioning FaceTime HD Cameras afterwards) or if it somehow occurred several months ago after an Apple authorized repair of a broken internal spring that holds & maintains the attitude of the monitor stand, where they had to disable the iMac.

After trying Combo Updates, PRAM, Permissions repair, Disk Utility, Hardware Tester and every other suggestion on Apple Discussions to no avail, my question is:

Do I have to take this into Apple for repair again, or is there a way to fix that corrupted serial number? I'm pretty convinced that corrupted serial number is the smoking gun as to why this camera shows up in hardware but fails to operate after selected by any video app including QuickTime, ScreenFlow, Final Cut Pro X.

<Edited by Host>

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:39 AM

4 replies

Jun 27, 2017 12:23 PM in response to Wendy Dunham

Hello, Wendy!

I have exactly the same problem. It was working perfectly before reinstalling the system.

Now I have mic working, green camera indicator light, but camera picture is black. I tried to reinstall either Mavericks and Sierra, but camera doesn't work. I only see the black picture.

By the way my camera's serial number is also corrupted.

FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in):

Product ID: 0x8511

Version: 72.30

Serial Number: ˜pFvz?–Ð~ *h8À¸

Location ID: 0x14500000 / 3

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Built-In: Yes

Did you resolve this problem?

May 23, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Wendy Dunham

Hello Wendy.

You have certainly been thorough in your troubleshooting and fix attempts. I think you have correctly identified your corrupted serial number as one more symptom of your camera failure.

Having tried Combo Updates, PRAM, Permissions repair, Disk Utility, Hardware Tester and every other suggestion on Apple Discussions to no avail, contacting Apple or your Apple Authorized Service Provider for service is all that is left to do. The service tech will be able to fix your problem with the least possible additional disruption for you. Be sure to have a current backup of all your important files before tendering your iMac for service.

Before you leave the repair facility to take your iMac home, I also suggest that you look at the serial number in System Information and ask for a demonstration of the camera, mic, and green camera indicator light.

For possible benefit of future readers who might encounter a similar problem, when your iMac is working again, please post back and let us know what the Apple Techs did to correct your problem.

Cheers,

EZ Jim

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) has corrupt Serial Number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.