Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using blank dvd discs

I want to back up some data, but I can't get my iMac to recognize that a disk is in the player. I have DVD-R discs. It will play a dvd that has a movie on it, or a cd that has music on it, but when I insert a blank DVD it doesn't find it and just spits it back out.

How do I burn a DVD and what kind of disc am I supposed to use?

Dan

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:03 AM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 10:07 AM in response to westenddude

Using DVD as a backup solution is a 1990 solution and not a great idea. I would strongly recommend using Time Machine to backup to an external HD. There is no reason not to,if you already and want to create redundant backup (smart idea!!!!) then get a second EHD and either create a second TM backup or use a cloning app such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to do os.

However if you insist on using the DVD then reset the SMC and PRAM and then re-try. Click Intel iMac SMC and PRAM resets for instructions on how, it may take 2-3 attempts.

May 23, 2015 11:02 AM in response to westenddude

Additionally:

what brand are the DVDs you are trying to use? Macs are notoriously finicky about the medis; I only use brand names such as Verbatim.

And, even if you do not use Time Machine, backing up your files onto an external hard drive simply by the drag 'n drop method is better than using a DVD. I occasionally use a DVD to store at an offsite location, but that is my third backup copy.

May 23, 2015 1:52 PM in response to westenddude

Mac Basics: Time Machine

OS X Mountain Lion: Alternatives for backing up your Mac

User Tip: Most commonly used backup methods

Emergency backups you didn't know you had!

============

Another help source (if you haven't already done so).

Go to your OS Help Menu. In the search field type dvd

Click on all the troubleshooting topics & Support Articles that pertain to your issue.

You can also do the same in Disk Utility. Open same up.

At the bottom left of the window, click on the purple button w/the "?" in the middle.

This will bring up the Help Menu.

===============

Try a different brand. Top forum favorites

CDs

FUJI

TDK

Verbatim

DVDs

Maxell

Verbatim

==============

Apple's Disc Burning Quick Assist

Make sure the DVDs are not dirty, smudged and/or scratched.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2000Mac doesn't start up from install disc

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2801Apple Computers: Troubleshooting the slot-loading SuperDrive

*** Your drive may need cleaning. Cleaning kits can be purchased from any store that sells CD/DVDs. ***

User uploaded file

Using blank dvd discs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.