Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU NEED TO UPGRADE MEMORY ?

I have a Mac Pro X 10.6.8 with a 4GB memory. It's getting rather slow and I do not know if I need or can update the memory. I have looked at the table which states that I have the following :

Free 19.2 MB

Wired 535.3.MB

Active 1.40 GB

Inactive 2.06 GB

Used 3.98 GB

VM size 127.86 GB

Page ins 368.5 MB

Page outs 1.1 MB

Swap used 21.5.MB

Can anyone help me with this question please and if I do need more memory , where can I obtain it from and is it easy to do myself bearing in mind that I am really NOT that technical 🙂

Thanks

Su

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:40 AM

11 replies

May 23, 2015 1:29 PM in response to LAFOSSE

You haven't done a very good job of identifying your Mac model:

User uploaded file

You have either a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro that is running OS X 10.6.8. There are many models of both that are capable of running 10.6.8.

Click on the Apple Menu's "About This Mac," system report, hardware, and look for, and report back, your Mac's Model Identifier, i.e., MacbookPro4,1.

May 24, 2015 11:09 AM in response to LAFOSSE

10.6.8 refers to the Operating System, it says nothing about your Mac other than: it can run that version of Osx. Again i suggest an Etrecheck report if only to help us correctly identify your MacBook Pro.

Failing that, posting the Model year, or Model identifier of the MacBook Pro from the About this Mac option in the apple Menu. would also be of help..

May 25, 2015 8:58 AM in response to LAFOSSE

Your MacBook Pro can go up to 8GB of RAM.

OWC(macsales.com) and Crucial.com are highly recommended sources of RAM.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

With that said, I would start by checking what processes and applications you have currently running both continuously and on startup.

The Etrecheck report can help with that.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU NEED TO UPGRADE MEMORY ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.