Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorted Audio after Save

After making a save in MainStage, the sound becomes extremely distorted (Local MainStage instrument or AU Plugin). If I quit MainStage and restart, then the sound quality is repaired. If I go into preferences and change my audio source, apply the change, and then change back to the FireFace and apply that change, the audio is also restored. Unfortunately the issue also happens if I switch to any patch with a high number of channel strips, and sometimes—more frighteningly—with a low number of channel strips. Even a reset audio function (like used to appear in Logic, I believe) would allow me to script an "audio panic" of sorts just to re-establish the digital handshake between the interface and the application. It could be a memory allocation issue, in which case a dump feature would be nice.

My system:

•Mac Mini || OS X Yosemite (10.10.2) || Processor 3 GHz Intel Core i7 || Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

•FireFace UCX with updated firmware, and the newest drivers (3.26); connected via Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter; on AC power

•MainStage is on its most current version, in various configurations (MultiThreading on/off; Cores set high/low; Kontakt running or not; DFD in Kontakt on/off in Kontakt; Virtual memory active/disabled in MainStage).

Issue did not exist on older Mac Minis with Firewire port, which ran bus powered. But then I was also using an earlier version of MS3, often on OS X 10.9. I'm not in a place to test a thunderbolt connection on a 10.9 machine, but if someone else could report their experiences I might be willing to downgrade the machine I have here.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:29 PM

I'm using the exact same Mac Mini, same processor and RAM with a 500GB SSD with Yosemite 10.10.3. I was using a MOTU Ultralite Hybrid with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter, but recently upgraded to the Ultralite AVB. The problem for me seemed to be the I/O buffer size. With only a few channel strips it will run well at 128, but with a lot more channel strips routed to a 3-keyboard setup, I had to set it at 256 with the I/O safety buffer unchecked. Driver latency is set at 64 and the max number of cores is selected. It runs smoothly with no audio problems.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 12:29 PM in response to tw4022a

I'm using the exact same Mac Mini, same processor and RAM with a 500GB SSD with Yosemite 10.10.3. I was using a MOTU Ultralite Hybrid with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter, but recently upgraded to the Ultralite AVB. The problem for me seemed to be the I/O buffer size. With only a few channel strips it will run well at 128, but with a lot more channel strips routed to a 3-keyboard setup, I had to set it at 256 with the I/O safety buffer unchecked. Driver latency is set at 64 and the max number of cores is selected. It runs smoothly with no audio problems.

Distorted Audio after Save

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.