Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate photos - how to delete?

I have a lot of duplicate photos -- they are both albums and events. How do I delete the event and the photos without deleting the album by the same name? 😐

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:40 AM

You can't. Events are the primary building block of iPhoto. All photos must be in an Event. However, a photo can be in many albums but not take up any additional space on the hard drive. See the Note at the end of my reply.

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 9:40 AM in response to llynx

You can't. Events are the primary building block of iPhoto. All photos must be in an Event. However, a photo can be in many albums but not take up any additional space on the hard drive. See the Note at the end of my reply.

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

User uploaded file

Duplicate photos - how to delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.