Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have problem using external microphone with my MacBook Pro

Hello everyone,

I have MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2) and I have purchased Sony's ECM - CS3 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B0058MJX4 O) clip style microphone. I have tried going through preferences and changing Use Audio Port to Sound Input put still I can't use the microphone. Microphone that I use is not an USB microphone, it's a line-in I guess.

Thanks for the help in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:42 AM

1 reply

May 23, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Iphone 4's antenna problem

Apparently that microphone is an electret type and may need more power than the MacBook Pro jack can provide. Griffin's imic might be helpful to fix this or see if you can find a microphone designed to work with Macbook Pro's. Apparently the socket in there is like an iPhone socket. It has 4 poles, and the microphone you have described has 3, so you'd need some kind of adapter (TRS to TRRS)-around $20

JB

I have problem using external microphone with my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.