Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie simple editing tools

I am in the process of editing a large project. I have final cut express and the latest iMovie and usually use express. This time around I decided to use iMovie for the sake of (what I suspect is true from my own experience) smaller files, faster rendering and image stabilization. However, I noticed that after some quick editing I assumed a certain feature would be at my disposal since iMovie had things like stabilization, but I was wrong. The simple widescreen overlay. Why is this not part of the iMovie effect pack? widescreen is much more often used than things like the x-ray or cartoon effects, even in bad youtube review videos. I would think this effect would be included when it likely uses less memory to create a black bar. At least a black bar, but even a color pallete should be an easy inclusion. I hope there is a better reason for not including this than just making final cut pro x look more appealing.

😐

please correct me if there is an easy way to apply widescreen or if its simply a hidden feature

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 12:22 PM

2 replies

May 23, 2015 1:41 PM in response to cambotron

Final Cut Express is (was) much more powerful than iMovie - it cost roughly same as Final Cut pro X does now. iMovie only produces 16:9 aspect ratio videos. If you have a 4:3 aspect ratio video and choose in project settings > Clip placement > "Fit then you get black bars above and below.

Geoff.

May 23, 2015 6:25 PM in response to GeeD

hmm, well the only thing keeping me truly from using express is the stabilization feature in iMovie. plus i've already edited in iMovie and i'm not really sure if it's worth the time redoing it in express. I was hoping to do a portion of the video in a 2.33:1 aspect, so i guess i either need to move what i want in widescreen into express from iMovie after stabilizing clips, or move clips into iMovie after applying the 2.33 in express. ugh.. this is why i was frustrated. i understand not having a more complicated tool like stabilization in an editing program like express (which costs money), but not having a simple feature like a matte overlay in even the free editor is kind of upsetting.

thanks for the input Geoff.

imovie simple editing tools

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.