Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Logic...working..NOT optimally...BECAUSE Yosemite ADDS/MAKES A MUCH HIGHER DEMAN ON SYSTEM RERSOURES!"

The topic of this thread is taken from a quote of the local guru. It is self-explanatory, and the thread welcomes any and all opinions.

The question is WHY!?!?!

What benefit is this YOSEMITE update providing to the Logic Pro users, for all of the extra added frustration?

Where is the beef?!?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:52 AM

10 replies

May 23, 2015 3:19 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Generally speaking the performance issues / instability problems tend to be related to basically a few things..

1) The general issues with Yosemite, memory leaks and 'runaway' routines from time to time... Further updates to Yosemite/LPX should fix most of these over time.

2) LPX not being fully optimized (Yet!) for Yosemite... The graphical/GUI side seems to need to most tweaking....

3) Changes made to how LPX handles graphics/GUI compared to LP9. See #2

4) 3rd Party Driver issues.... requiring updated drivers/firmware for 3rd party External Hardware..

5) USB3 /USB2 related issues... again requiring updated drivers/firmware for 3rd party External Hardware..

The following tips seem to 'calm' Yosemite down somewhat..... providing better / reliable performance overall (including with LPX)

Guide: How to solve Yosemite memory leaks and CPU usage

Reasons for these issues?

Personally I think the main reason is... Apple is simply bringing out too many "new' OS X features without fully fixing the existing issues in prior versions... In other words the recent 'Once a year' update/upgrade cycle is just too fast.. and we, the end users, end up being unpaid beta testers for most of the time... and many known bugs just don't get fixed at all... or after extended periods of time... by which time other bugs rear their heads and so the cycle goes on..

Note: In the past OS X went through major updates every 2-3 years as a minimum..and so the updates had time to 'settle in' and get fixed before the next major version was released... and I believe OS X had far more time 'behind the scenes', being tested prior to public release... which simply isn't happening these days.

There will be other reasons of course.... One of which is probably related to the fact that cheaper/less well supported/less well tested and designed hardware is being released onto the market because the user base of Apple devices has risen making it worthwhile for some Manufacturers to release such cheaper products... as they will sell in greater numbers than before.

As I have said before.. it always strikes me as odd when someone spends $2K+ on a Mac and then spends only $40-$90 on a cheap midi/audio device...and they then wonder why it's performance is terrible/unstable. Its akin to putting $50 tires on a $200k Ferrari and then being apparently surprised that it only performs like a Kia....

May 23, 2015 3:40 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

As I have said before.. it always strikes me as odd when someone spends $2K+ on a Mac and then spends only $40-$90 on a cheap midi/audio device...and they then wonder why it's performance is terrible/unstable. Its akin to putting $50 tires on a $200k Ferrari and then being apparently surprised that it only performs like a Kia....

+1

Years ago no one would've dreamed of using built-in or cheap audio interfaces. If you're thinking about purchasing a cheap audio interface, might as well buy a cheap two channel mixer, the right adapter cable and use the computer's built-in audio, you will have less problems that way.

May 24, 2015 7:47 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

Its akin to putting $50 tires on a $200k Ferrari and then being apparently surprised that it only performs like a Kia....

Hey, I hava Kia :-)

I totally agree with what you are saying here, regardless of the external device prices. OSX releases need to slow down! My macbook came with Mavericks, which I like. My iMac is still running Snow Leopard, because it works. I wish I could upgrade to Mavericks instead of being forced to only be able to move to Yosemite.

May 24, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

Hey, I hava Kia :-)

There is nothing wrong with a Kia..... but then again, you didn't pay $200K for it 🙂

I totally agree with what you are saying here, regardless of the external device prices. OSX releases need to slow down! My macbook came with Mavericks, which I like. My iMac is still running Snow Leopard, because it works. I wish I could upgrade to Mavericks instead of being forced to only be able to move to Yosemite.

Several regular users here, including myself.. are still running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9.1.5 (or 9.1.8) on our primary Audio rigs...Very stable and easily out performs current OS X / Logic Combo incarnations... so you are not alone!..

May 24, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

There seems to be a common conception that you can't upgrade to earlier OS versions, only the latest on the App Store.

I upgraded my Lion OS to Mountain Lion recently (in order to use one crucial piece of software - Izotope Ozone, otherwise I had no intention to upgrade a perfectly working system) - if you look at the pages for that particular OS on the Apple website, there is an option to buy at the price it was sold at the time (£14 in the UK in my case, about 10 or 11 dollars, I suppose). Apple send you a link by email for download and the item appears under your Purchases in your App Store account - I assume they have to add that manually.

Chorleyman (there seems to be some sort of conflict between my previous login details and later ones for the app store, so I've lost my over 1000 points, but never mind, I don't contribute much here these days - still looking regularly though!)

May 24, 2015 10:04 AM in response to manfromchorley

Hey Chorleyman,

if you look at the pages for that particular OS on the Apple website, there is an option to buy at the price it was sold at the time

You are not the first to mention this ability but as yet, I haven't been able to locate any Mavericks page on either the US Apple Website or the App Store. Maybe it's a UK only site thing but could you post up the link to the UK page you are referring to please?

Chorleyman (there seems to be some sort of conflict between my previous login details and later ones for the app store, so I've lost my over 1000 points, but never mind, I don't contribute much here these days - still looking regularly though!)

Did you change Apple ID by any chance? If not, what sort of conflict are you referring to? In theory, Chorleyman should still be available to you to use... and so, if you cannot access it and if you need help retrieving it, please let me know and Ill contact the ASC support system and ask them to look into the issue for you?

Cheers..

Nigel

May 24, 2015 10:14 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

This is the page, Nigel - http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

I did have to put in a different ID when I started to use the App Store - because the previous details were incompatible (not enough letters or combination of letters and numbers, that sort of thing). As I said, I rarely contribute these days, so I'm not really concerned, but thanks for your offer. Its a good while since I

used my previous details - I seem to have been kept logged in most of the time when I did used to do so, so I can't remember exactly what they were, maybe it will come back to me ! Not really a massive problem.

That's the page I used for Mountain Lion download, it seems reasonable to assume there's something similar for other OSX versions.

May 24, 2015 10:19 AM in response to manfromchorley

Ah, Mountain Lion yes, (Along with older OS X versions for that matter) because that was also sold originally, via a physical medium (DVD) as well as via the app store... but Mavericks (which was the OS X version the OP was asking about) was not.. That was a download only purchase.. and so you cannot buy it any longer unfortunately, as far as i am aware.

so I'm not really concerned, but thanks for your offer.

Not a problem but if you should change your mind, please feel free to give me a yell and I'll help out if I can.

"Logic...working..NOT optimally...BECAUSE Yosemite ADDS/MAKES A MUCH HIGHER DEMAN ON SYSTEM RERSOURES!"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.