Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use a thunderbolt cable to connect two iMacs and share their screens?

I'm using a mid 2011 iMac running 10.8.5 and am thinking a buy a new iMac. For one thing, I don't want to have to buy an extra CD/DVD player and am hoping to still use the one I have the 2011 iMac. For another, I need more monitor space even though they are both 27 inch.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 23, 2015 1:35 PM

4 replies

May 26, 2015 8:48 AM in response to SeaPapp

I guess your links did help solve the problem but, unfortunately, not in the way I had hoped. I found out that the new retina display iMac does not support target display mode and that all the kinds of CDs or DVDs that I would use cannot be used remotely. Very disappointed in Apple for these obstacles. I do thank you for leading me in the right direction.

May 26, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Rudegar

No nothing like that. I just don't want to have to buy a CD/DVD player/recorder and don't want to use one of the few USB ports on the back of the computer when I have a perfectly find optical drive on my current iMac. For example, I have been transferring my audio CDs to iTunes and then to my iPhone in order to be able to listen to them more flexibly. But the remote feature doesn't work with audio CDs. These are my own legal property, nothing in violation of the law.

Can you use a thunderbolt cable to connect two iMacs and share their screens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.